cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec services stop before scheduled backup job starts

glen1
Level 2
New install of Backup Exec just does not want to run backups!
I have a server (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64) with Backup Exec 2010 on it.
The backup device is an HP RDX500 Removable Disk Backup device.

I can set up a job In BE2010 quite happily, and when I Run Now, the job starts ok and starts writing to the disk ok.
When I schedule the exact same job to run at 23:00 it does not run.
It complains about not being able to connect to the media server. I have checked that the System Account is ok, I can start the services manually and then force run the job, but it won't run by itself.
When I check services.msc, the BE2010 services are all running, even though BE2010 says they aren't.

This is a fresh install of BE2010,so theoretically, it should be ok. Is there anything I can check or change to ensure that the services stay running (or so that BE2010 sees them as running) ?

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Make sure that your services are configured properly.

1) SQL service and Remote Agent service should be configured to use Local System Account.

2) Other Backup exec services should be configured with domain admin account which is same like your backup exec login account.

3) When the services stop check the system log for the error message & event id.

4) Make sure that the backup exec database maintenance is not running at 23:00.

5) Download and install the latest hotfix from http://support.veritas.com/docs/348284

Nimish_Patel
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Can you provide more details like, when the schedule job starts at 23:00,

1. Does it fails with any error messages or it goes to queued or any other status in the job monitor but does not fail with any error ?
2. Is the job a single job  or is it a policy based job ?
3. If the job is failing with any error, can you tell me what events do you see under application event logs for next two to three hours counting from the time the job is scheduled to run ?

you can also try following http://support.veritas.com/docs/307609 .

tech29
Level 6
Hi,

Do you have any other application/software  (e,g antivirus software) which may interrupt the backups scheduled to run at 23:00 hours?  also are you backing up athe local server or the remote servers in the job which you run at 23:00 hours.?

Regards,
tech29

thegoolsby
Level 6
Employee Accredited
If everything is local then use SGMON to get a debug of the remote agent. You may also might want to review the event logs and make sure the services are stopping or restarting during or before the backups.

glen1
Level 2

thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out and let you know