cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec skipping other Symantec files

TAN_technician
Level 2
Found this in our BE logs. This is BE 10d SP4.

The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\{0D072BCE-DCFE-48AD-800B-0CDBC23A2E4D}_1.img in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX_SERVER_02580.xml in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Logs\adamm.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\AVMan.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\GUProxy.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\LUMan.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\NacMan.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\processlog.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\rawlog.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\seclog.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SnacDebug.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\syslog.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\tralog.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\ersecreg.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\inbox\log\exsecars.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\out.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\agent_register-0.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\agent_register-0.log.lck in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\catalina.err in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\catalina.out in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\db_connection-0.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\db_connection-0.log.lck in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\localhost_scm_log.2010-07-15.txt in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\replication-0.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\replication-0.log.lck in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\scm-server-0.log in use - skipped.
The item D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs\scm-server-0.log.lck in use - skipped.

I have never seen these files skipped in other BE isntallations, no matter the BE version. I'm afraid that in a disaster situation where we had to restore from backup, my SEPM installation would be hosed. Thoughts? Let's also try for answers that don't insist on updating to another version (that will be last resort). Let me know if you need further information.
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if there are no databases in the job, try enabling AOFO

As log as no Open File option is enabled and the files are "in use" BackupExec will not be able to back them up

TAN_technician
Level 2

Ken, thanks for the reply. The server in question is a 2003 SBS server, and there are some SQL databases. However, I will try this option and check the backup job in the morning.

teiva-boy
Level 6
SEP has it's own backup tool.  Configure that, so that it dumps the SEP database to a location.  Then pick up those flat files.

Since the embedded database in SEP is Sybase ASA, it is not VSS aware, and BE has no agent for it. 

If you read up on the Installation Guide for SEP, the very last chapter called Disaster Recovery, covers all you need to backup, and how to restore.  All those files that were skipped, are NOT needed in a restore scenario.

And upgrade that 10D install to at least 11d or 12, better yet 2010.  There are just so many changes to BE for the better, that what you have now is extremely inefficient, outdated, and not supported.

TAN_technician
Level 2
Thanks teiva. I am aware of the SEP database backup utility, I've just never had to use it before. This is the first time that so many SEPM files have not been backed up. As for upgrading BE, my response would be that I would love to. However, my customer is cheap. I'll leave it up to their account manager to sell them the upgrade. This server was just migrated using HP's migration tool, and from what I can tell, BE was only skipping two files. However, thanks for the information, and there is already a point in this where I will be confronting the customer about an upgrade.

teiva-boy
Level 6
There are usually upgrade SKU's for customers that are way past due maintenance...  Usually up to 35%-45% off retail.
http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=be_offers

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just create two jobs, if needed.  and then stack them to the same tape.  enable AOFO for the flat-file backups, and remove it for the database backups