cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec targeting files that don't exist?

Kelly_Connor
Level 2
I run SQL Server generated backup jobs on my SQL server, and dump the files into my S:\backup folder. I then use BE91 to backup the backups:-)

I have one job that when it runs, it fails with the following type of error message (taken from multiple logs of the same job):

Backup - \\sql2\S: New Volume Directory not found. Can not backup directory \backup\\17\ontv1800.BAK and its subdirectories.

Backup - \\sql2\S: New Volume Directory not found. Can not backup directory \backup\\\\砼dž燠⺳1800.BAK and its subdirectories.

Backup - \\sql2\S: New VolumeDirectory not found. Can not backup directory \backup\\\\砼dž燠⺳1800.BAK and its subdirectories.

I don't know how the \backup\\17\ directory could even exist, or any other directory with multiple preceding '\' characters (it doesn't). I also do not have a backup file called ontv1800.BAK or any strange character filenames (in the log they show up as boxes, not as chinese characters like here). I have backups of master, model, msdb and 2 medical records databases that do not have a name even similar to this.

The SQL backup job starts at 6pm (1800) for master, model and msdb, and only takes about a second to run. It's very quick. The 2 medical records jobs start at 6:30 and 7pm, and the last one finishes at about 7:50pm... it's a 100GB database. The BE91 backup job kicks off at 10pm. No SQL jobs are touching the *.bak or *.trn files in these folders during the BE91 backup job.

Here is the text version of my selection set:

\\sql2\s:\backup\*.bak /subdir
\\sql2\s:\backup\mr_cama\*.* /subdir
\\sql2\s:\backup\pm_cama\*.* /subdir

Basically, under s:\backup, I want all *.bak files. I also want all other files in the mr_cama and pm_cama subfolders (*.trn files).

How do I stop this error from coming up in an otherwise completely successful job? It has been happening for the last 2 weeks since we re-analyzed and reconfigured our backup environment.
3 REPLIES 3

Kelly_Connor
Level 2
I just realized looking at my selection set that I am targeting any *.bak files that exist in the \backup\mr_cama or \backup\pm_cama to be backed up twice.

I adjusted my selection set to read like this:

\\sql2\s:\backup\*.bak /subdir
\\sql2\s:\backup\mr_cama\*.trn /subdir
\\sql2\s:\backup\pm_cama\*.trn /subdir

I won't know until tonite if this fixes the problem, but think I'm on the right track?

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Kelly,

Try setting the rule to exclude all your (*.bak) files from the backup selections!

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kelly_Connor
Level 2
My guess in the second post worked. I was backing up 1 *.bak file twice.