Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupJobs don't backup anything

Dennis_K5121
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

we are running a our BackupExec 11.d (SP5) on a WindowsXP machine, using a HP TapeLibrary (MSL 3G) with a HP Ultrium 3-SCSI Tape.

For a long time everything worked without problems but overnight all the jobs are starting, but they don't backup any data. So the job ends when time limit is reached without any saved data (0 Byte / 10 hours).

The problem occurs for every job, backuping, cleaning or inventury.

I restarted the tape library, the BE services and the workstation, all without success. I repaired the BE Installation and updated to the last software version.

All the media and devices are online.

The test run on the other hand ends successfully.

I don't know what to do now - any idea?

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Backups are ending when time limit is reached...

But up to that time what was the job state? Try to find out from the job log..

Any active alert?

Test run completed successfully. Have you tried using any tape from media sets of failing jobs?

Dennis_K5121
Level 3
Partner Accredited

The job state says "no state" (in the german version "keiner). Absolutely nothing happens, no entrys in the log. No active alerts.

Byte                   : 0 Byte
Auftragsrate        : 0,00 MB/Min
Dateien                : 0
Verzeichnisse          : 0
Übersprungene Dateien  : 0
Beschädigte Dateien    : 0
Geöffnete Dateien      : 0
Ursprüngliche Startzeit: Donnerstag, 23. September 2010 23:00:00
Auftrag gestartet      : Montag, 27. September 2010 23:00:03
Auftrag beendet        : Dienstag, 28. September 2010 09:00:10
Verstrichene Zeit      : 10:00:07

The job ends with "e0008445 - the media operation was terminated by the user"

Last state in job log is "Laufwerk und Laden von Medium angefordert"

Laufwerk und Laden von Medium angefordert: 28.09.2010 23:00:02
 - Fehler - Ladefehler.
Vorgang abgebrochen

Auftragsabschlussstatus
Auftrag beendet am Mittwoch, 29. September 2010 um 09:00:06
Abschlussstatus: Abgebrochen, Zeitüberschreitung
Der Auftrag wurde automatisch abgebrochen, weil die max. konfigurierte Ausführungszeit des Auftrags erreicht war.

Fehler
Klicken Sie auf eine der unten aufgeführten Fehlermeldungen, um den Fehler im Auftragsprotokoll zu finden
 - Fehler - Ladefehler.
Vorgang abgebrochen

Yes, i did the test run with the failing job...

I tried the same job B2D and everything worked fine...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Dennis,

Take a step back...try a small backup to disk, and then to tape and see if it works. If it does, it isn't Backup Exec itself that is causing the issue.

The next step would be to recreate your selection list, and run a stand-alone job using that. If it works, then the issue is a possible corruption of your original selection list, and you can continue using the new one. If it fails again, recreate your jobs. Kind of working around the issue a bit.

You can also check the link below...MIGHT be waiting for an alert to be checked...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH36822

Thanks!

Dennis_K5121
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

i did all this. A new backup job with new selection list B2D runs without any problems. The same job B2T shows the same problem.

And there are no active alerts...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Mmm...new job/selection list to disk works, but not to tape?

OK then...

1. Check RSM is disabled. Try the job again...

2. Download HP Library & Tape Tools and run diagnostic checks against your tape drive and the robotics (got a couple of these libraries in our environment!). Stop the BE services before doing so...

3. Make sure you can erase a tape, and inventory the drive. If you cannot do these tasks, there is probably an issue with your library's hardware. I would suspect drive failure.

Laters!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If you cannot even get an inventory job to run, I suspect BE's view of the hardware is confused.  I suggest disable all drives and the robot (right click, uncheck "enable"), then delete them, stop the BE service.  Verify that Windows device manager sees the hardware (if not, fix this), then restart the BE services and let it rediscover your hardware.