cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backuped up virtual machine

SoulGod
Level 4
Partner

I have a backup running (working without a problem) on a virtual machine.
It backups to a deduplication-server.

Now - I want to "test" to restore it (to a secondary host so I won't disturb the original).
First tried to do a normal "restore" of complete machine, but then it wants to restore it to the original place.. so no.

I tried "Convert to Virtual", and entered all the information that was needed.
It then fails for "cannot convert the physical machine due to an unsupported dynamic disk".

So - how can I make it possible to restore this machine to a "complete" state, without doing individual backups for each catalog?

I am running 14.1 Rev 1786 (64-bit) on a Server 2012 host.

Please help!

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Chose the option of restoring to an alternate location when running the restore wizard. Here you can specify the secondary host information.

SoulGod
Level 4
Partner

What I do is this:

1. Click the machine that I want to restore, and then click the Restore-button

2. The first part of the wizard appear, and I can choose from:
* Files , folders or volumes
* Complete online restore of a computer or system component
* Microsft SQL Server databases

If I choose the online restore, I cannot choose the "alternate" location.
Altough if I pick the "folders and volumes", I can restore to another location.

But that won't give me a "running" machine?

Or am I thinking wrong?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Gotcha ! Choose the virtual host which contains the VM which you want to restore. Run the restore wizard from here. This will give you an option to restore the complete VM to a secondary host.

Now, this only applies if the VM was backed up using the virtual agent (Agent for VMware) and not as a physical machine (using the remote agent). If the latter method was chosen, then you cannot redirect a complete running machine to another machine.

The only way to test would be to setup a same machine (same name, same specs) preferably in a workgroup. Disconnect the production machine from the network. Install the remote agent on the test machine and you would be able to restore using the online restore option.

SoulGod
Level 4
Partner

Ok - thats the problem. I did it through a "remote" agent.

I'll run a new backup from within the host and try again (I left that way cause it failed alot for me).

Will give it a try again and get back to you!