cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexe 12.5 and IBM TS3100 Tape Library

fcoates
Level 2
IBM System Storage TS3100 ULT3580-HH3 Type 3573-TL 

Having a problem with Backup Exec 12.5 SP4 communicating with our tape drive.  The drive shows up in the Devices tab of the application.  The drive is attached to a IBM SAS HBA Controller v2.  The drive is listed by Symantec as a supported tape drive.

All Devices
    IBM2 (Library Name)

ServerName
   Stand-alone Drives
        IBM2

When view the properties It lists all the appropriate drive information and such.  If I attempt an Inventory by Backup Exec it execute but when view the log it has a message indicating the drive is empty.  When using the web interface on the drive and viewing the inventory it clearly shows that the magazines have tapes in them.  I am not using barcoding because it is not required for that drive based on IBM documentation.  My only indication something is wrong is the LUN address.  The web interface of the drive indicates LUN 1 but when viewing the LUN field in the properties of the drive within Backup Exec Devices tab it show sLUN 0.  Could this be the problem and if so how does one change that in Backup Exec?  I have attempted to remove and add the device over and over and still cannot get it to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

fcoates
Level 2
Ok I got it to work.  Please close.  Through reading some other posts related about the Windows Devices.  Even though I had the Tape Drive listed in the Windows devices manager I didn't have the Medium Changer devices listed.  I ran a hardware scan and Windows added the device and then Backup Exec added the robotic device and I am now doing an inventory.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

fcoates
Level 2
Ok I got it to work.  Please close.  Through reading some other posts related about the Windows Devices.  Even though I had the Tape Drive listed in the Windows devices manager I didn't have the Medium Changer devices listed.  I ran a hardware scan and Windows added the device and then Backup Exec added the robotic device and I am now doing an inventory.