I recently installed the backupexec 2015 feature pack 1 update across all the sites I work with by using liveupdate. One site out of the 20 failed though and is now unusable. I manually reran the downloaded featurepack which spits the following error in the log file
MSI (s) (10:60) [13:06:05:555]: Executing op: FolderRemove(Folder=C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\43F936BCCD75314479264C54D0E52126\,Foreign=1)
MSI (s) (10:60) [13:06:05:612]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (s) (10:60) [13:06:05:665]: Restoring environment variables
MSI (s) (10:60) [13:06:05:711]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (s) (10:6C) [13:06:05:757]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
MSI (c) (84:E0) [13:06:05:809]: Note: 1: 1305 2: C:\Windows\Installer\84d37c.msi 3: 0
MSI (c) (84:C0) [13:06:05:862]: Transforming table Binary.
MSI (c) (84:C0) [13:06:05:908]: Transforming table Binary.
MSI (c) (84:C0) [13:06:05:956]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Binary 3: -2147287038
MSI (c) (84:C0) [13:06:06:001]: Transforming table Binary.
MSI (c) (84:C0) [13:06:06:100]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Binary 3: -2147287038
DEBUG: Error 2851: The data for the icon InstallManager_DLL is not valid
Internal Error 2851. InstallManager_DLL
DEBUG: Error 2835: The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog SetupError
Internal Error 2835. ErrorIcon, SetupError
MSI (c) (84:E0) [13:08:21:395]: Product: Symantec Backup Exec -- Error 1305.Error reading from file C:\Windows\Installer\84d37c.msi. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.
MSI (c) (84:E0) [13:08:21:464]: Back from server. Return value: 1635
MSI (c) (84:E0) [13:08:21:510]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (84:E0) [13:08:21:555]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its current value is '1'.
Action ended 13:08:21: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (84:E0) [13:08:21:650]: Doing action: SetupCompleteError
Has anyone else come across this as I really dont want to have to rebuild backexec again ? I have a recent backup of the whole server but its doing more than 1 job so a whole server recovery wouldnt be an option at this point
One site out of the 20 failed though and is now unusable
Would you pls elaborate ? Are the BE services not starting ? Are you unable to launch the BE console ? What exactly is unusable ?
Is there any AV installed on this server ?
Have you tried a repair install of BE and then rerunning the FP1 install ? Where is the FP1 installer kept at ? At a remote share or on the BE server itself ? Preferably keep it on the BE server itself and grant explicit rights to the install folder.
An alternative would be to log a support case and have an engineer assist you with the install.
With the BE services, the remote agent, job engine wouldnt start. Opening the be console brings up the connect to a server screen as some of the services arent running no matter how many times you try running them
AV yes installed and normal
I was scared to try a repair in case it made it worse. When the live update failed I tried it again and had no real visual indication of what was going wrong apart from the liveupdate error screen so I went to the cache directory and found the FP1 zip and extracted and ran it manually to get the error message. Its directly located on the boot drive of the server so dont think its a rights issue as I am logged on locally running it.
I rebooted again and ran the patch again which still failed with the error above but seemed to roll back the changes properly this time and I was able to restart all be services but I am hesitant to run the patch again
For a manual install, download FP1 from this link - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH228725.html
Do not run the cache installer.
Temporarily disable the AV during the installer extraction and install.