cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2010 Media server on Win7 - When?

Kch
Level 2

Hi,

We run 2 BE 2010 media servers and are very satisfied with the product except one thing. media server #1 run on 2008r2 and media server #2 runs on XPsp3. While this works out fine I really would like to see the product supported on Win7 media server to replace teh XPsp3 media server. Will that be available soon? I really don't want to pay MS for another 2k8R2 server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTechie
Level 4
Employee Certified
Hey there

I would like to inform that the BE 2010 is not supported on the Windows 7 or Windows Vista machines. Only supported on Windows XP Professional(With SP2 or SP3, both 32 and 64 bit) on the workstation platforms. You may have it installed on the Entire family of Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 Servers.

Additionally please refer to the Software compatibility list below
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SymTechie
Level 4
Employee Certified
Hey there

I would like to inform that the BE 2010 is not supported on the Windows 7 or Windows Vista machines. Only supported on Windows XP Professional(With SP2 or SP3, both 32 and 64 bit) on the workstation platforms. You may have it installed on the Entire family of Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 Servers.

Additionally please refer to the Software compatibility list below
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can add this request  to the "Ideas" section of the forum (top menu bar, far right)

If enough people give it a "thumbs up"  we may see support in the future for a media server on Win7

SymTechie
Level 4
Employee Certified
As the Backup Exec is growing more complex and requires more resources to run I guess soon the Media server installation support on WinXP Professional will also be withdrawn from the next version. Also in order to backup the Workstations Symantec recommend to have BE installed on a Server OS and need to backup using the Remote agent installed on the workstations. Also if only wanted to backup the user data files and not the complete workstation its recommended to use BE DLO (Desktop and Laptop option).(You get 5 DLO users license free with your Backup exec, have to purchase more licenses if need additional user license)

InoUser
Level 3
Hallo!

Wir haben/hatten das gleiche Problem unter Windows 7 Prof.
Wir haben die BE Setup-Datei im Kompatibilitätsmodus (Rechts-Klick "Behandeln von Kompatibilitätsproblemen") gestartet und installiert.
bisher läuft alles ohne Probleme.

MFG