cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2010 R3 (R4?) on Windows 2012

jrudacille
Level 3

Hello,

I have searched the fourm and internet search engines for an answer but have found none so far...I could have sworn, months ago, that I received info suggesting Symantec would be updating Backup Exec 2012 to support media server install on a Windows 2012 server -AND- releasing an update to Backup Exec 2010 R3 to support the same.  I now cannot find any info on the Backup 2010 R3 piece...for the more cautious among us.  Did Symantec drop this possibility?  Are we now "stuck" going to Backup Exec 2014 if we want to install a media server on Windows 2012?   Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

BE 2014 is out on the 2nd June 2014! So it is 2 weeks or so away.

BE 2010, as far as I know, has not been mentioned to support Windows Server 2012 at all, and definitely not Windows Server 2012 R2. Reason behind this is that they are apparently bringing a number of features back to BE 2014 which were stripped out of BE 2012.

Thanks!

EDIT: You might actually get your answer below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-2012-update-vsphere-55-support-and-r2-beta...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi,

BE 2014 is out on the 2nd June 2014! So it is 2 weeks or so away.

BE 2010, as far as I know, has not been mentioned to support Windows Server 2012 at all, and definitely not Windows Server 2012 R2. Reason behind this is that they are apparently bringing a number of features back to BE 2014 which were stripped out of BE 2012.

Thanks!

EDIT: You might actually get your answer below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-2012-update-vsphere-55-support-and-r2-beta...

jrudacille
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply.  I had read that thread you linked but the posts on it were a bit old to feel confident they stood as fact.  I am fairly sure I received a Beta Invite from Symantec to test Backup Exec 2010 "R4" as they had decided, in an effort to ease the masses, to upgrade that product 1 more time with Windows 2012 R2 support for Media server install.  That being said it appears now they decided to not do that.  As many here will probably agree, upgrading from 2010R3 to 2014....at least until it is has been out a awhile....is something that seems to be a risky proposition considering what has happened with BE 2012.

CraigV

Well, BE 2014 adds support for a number of outstanding products that wasn't available when they released...and it's going to add back a number of features that were removed.

What you can look at doing possibly is giving it a month or 2 to see what the uptake is, and then going from there.

Thanks!

jrudacille
Level 3

Yes, that is what I will do.  The new stuff is great and always welcome but many SMB's use BE so the interface needs to be simplified back to BE 2010 type and it 100% must allow creating of single jobs to backup multiple devices without the need for scripting tricks or manual work arounds. 

CraigV

The interface hasn't changed at all...it is the same as BE 2012. But functionality has been added back.

Thanks!

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

Our dev efforts have been 100% on BE2014. Bringing Windows 2012 support to BE2010 was never on the table. Otherwise we'd still be coding BE2014 due to the added dev effort on BE2010.