cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2010 R3 (Trial Version)

sbs
Level 3

Hi, Need some help please.

Currently trialing 2010 R3 on Windows 2008-R2 Standard 64-bit. Customer has LTO4 Tape Library backing up several servers (6). Each server backup has to be distinctly separate, to enable this we have created media sets & allocated different tapes to each media set, which are all loaded into the Tape Library. Within each job setup under, Device & Media we point to the Tape Library & specify a media set for each backup.

What is happening is, if for any reason a tape can't be used (There are lots of reasons) but it could be a media error, or data overflows to a 2nd tape, which hasn't been catered for or simply the tapes have been loaded in an incorrect order. Backup Exec takes the next tape, changes it's media set and uses it. Which means all of the subsequent backup jobs are screwed up with the media sets changing and each job going onto the wrong tapes, also in the case of a media error the last job won't run as there is no tape available.

I don't understand how Backup Exec can move a tape to another media set if it requires one, I thought the job would signal an alert which could be catered for with a cancel or something else and move on to the next job. But I can't find an option to stop this happening.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Go to TOOLS>>OPTIONS>> MEDIA MANAGEMENT and check what are the options selected there.

I) Full - protect allocated and imported media

Prevents media in media sets and imported media from being overwritten.

See Media overwrite protection levels.

This is the safest option to choose because the media being protected cannot be overwritten until the following occurs:

1) The overwrite protection period for the media expires.

2) You move media that belongs to an active media set to Scratch Media.

3) You erase, format, or label the media.

4) You move media from Imported Media to Scratch Media.

II) Partial - protect only allocated media

Allows imported and scratch media to be overwritten. Media in a media set that has an overwrite protection period that has not expired (allocated media), cannot be overwritten.

This option is recommended if you have media from an earlier version of Backup Exec or another product (imported media) that you want to reuse.

III) None

This option is not recommended because it does not protect data from being overwritten.

Disables the media overwrite protection feature. With this option, you are responsible for making sure that the media in your storage devices are not accidentally overwritten.

For example, when an overwrite job is submitted to a device, and the media overwrite protection level is set to None, the media in that device is overwritten.

So from the above it will be better to choose either FULL or PARTIAL protection. Also below that select the option to Overwrite media is Targetted media set first before Scratch media.

Thanks,

-Sush...

AmolB

Strange requirement but it can be achieved by partitioning the library and then assigining each slot 

for different backups

pkh
   VIP    Certified

By design, BE will use overwriteable tapes from the following media sets in order,

1) the targeted media set

2) the scratch media set

3) any other media set.

Within a media set, the overwriteable tape with the oldest allocated date will be used first.

This is to prevent job failures when there are no overwriteable tape in the targeted media set and there are overwriteable tapes in the library.

You can prevent this behaviour if you partition your library, but you run the risk of your job failing even when there is an overwriteable tape in another partition.  BE will not use a tape from a partition other than the targeted partition.

As you have experienced, it is very diffifult to ensure that your data end up on the "correct" tape.  It is better to let BE and the library manage the tapes for you, rather than you managing the tapes.  See my article on this subject.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

Sush---
Level 6

By design, BE will use overwriteable tapes from the following media sets in order,

1) the targeted media set

2) the scratch media set

3) any other media set.

This information is completetely WRONG. If you go to TOOLS >>OPTIONS>> MEDIA MANAGEMENT and under Media Overwrite Option if you select the option "Overwrite Scratch Media before overwriting recyclable media contacined in the targeted Media set" then it will first always use the Media from Scratch Media set and the order that you have provided above will change.

Let me know if you require any further clarification on the same.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am aware of this setting, but I did not mention it so as to not cloud the issue. The user's jobs are not using scratch tape first, hence he must have set the option to use Recycleable media in the targeted media set first.

sbs
Level 3

Thanks for your input guys & the article.

I had set media management to - Partial & Overwrite scratch media first. I've changed it overwrite recylceable media first. However, I suspect that as Amol suggested the best option would be to partition the library. Once again thanks to you all