cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2010 - Slow backup plus timeouts [see attachment]

ramon82
Level 3

Dear all

I am using Backupexec 2010 to backup ~ 500GB of data. I am running the application on a Dell R710 server which is connected to a Powervault having an LTO5 inside. In device manager devices are listed like this:

• Controller: Dell S6Gbps SAS HBA - 18th dec 2009
  • Tape drive: LTO tape drive using Symantec driver - 12th feb 2008
  •  

There is a constant alert which is this one:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1.

--------------------

This error signifies controller errors. These errors are generally caused by hardware that is not functioning correctly. To resolve these errors, try the following actions:

- Slow the SCSI bus.
- Verify that the latest SCSI drivers and firmware are loaded.

If these errors continue to occur, contact the hardware manufacturer.

and Windows Event viewer errors:

[5480] 03/21/11 15:54:02 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:03:00 - Retry Logic: Original settings restored on device: IBM      ULTRIUM-HH5     

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

[5480] 03/21/11 15:54:02 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 03:00:03:00 - Refresh handle on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 00, new handle 6ec, error 0

%2
%3
%4
%5
%6
%7
%8

I had reinstalled Backupexec, reinstalled the SCSI card drivers over and over, reinstalled Symantec drivers for tape drive, done all updates through liveupdate...all in vain. Also how come actual size of files is around ~500GB and it shows over ~700GB on status?

Anyone has any idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6

Is your library attached to a SAS RAID card?  Or just a plain SAS card?  Reason I ask is that RAID cards are not supported, and have not been for more than 12yrs (the amount of time I've used BE)

ramon82
Level 3

Its just an SAS card...in device manager its listed as DELL 6GBPS SAS HBA

Any idea how I can lower the transfer rate of the card? ie from where I can do it?