cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2010 downloading "threatcon.zip" every 5 mins

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
Backup Exec 2010 is trying to download a file "threatcon.zip" every 5 mins from securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/ I don't use the auto backup incase of threat level feature, how do I prevent BE 2010 trying to download this file? It's just not good enough for a security firm to see software that goes off and accesses the Internet without asking or having any settings to stop it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As an update although the BE 2010 patch is still not available for this issue - the code is included in BE 2010 R2 so if you upgrade to this version and use the reg key to disable the polling your problem should be solved.

Notes:
- 2010 R2 uses the same serial numbers as 2010 so as long as you have the 2010 licenses you can just download it and install.
- You will always need the reg key as we can't disable it across the board because there are some customers that will be using the feature.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

how do I prevent BE 2010 trying to download this file?

You can't. It is built-in since BE 12.5. 

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

1. Open the Registry Editor. Start -> Run -> regedit
2. Browse to HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Server
3. Click Edit | New | DWORD Value = DisableThreatconStatusPolling

Set the Value data to 1 decimal to disable the status polling

Note the default value is 0 to enable ThreatconPolling.
4. Close out of the Registry Editor.
5. Restart the Backup Exec Services.

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
Excellent, many thanks for the help smiley

Dev_T
Level 6
did it resolve the issue?

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5

I spoke too soon, it's still happening after adding the registry entry and restarting the services sad

Colin_Weaver
The 12.5 patch (used with the previously named registry key) is available (reg key won't work without the patch)

See information in:
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/315592

As the above document states that fix for 2010 is not yet available, please confirm that the reg key did solve the issue on 2010 as we need to get the documentation changed.

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
No the reg key didn't work on 2010, I'll have to wait for the patch

Colin_Weaver

Ok thanks for that - we do have a Beta release available for 2010 for the issue  - however these are only released under controls - which means you need to have a formal support case open with our Technical Support teams.

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
That's OK thanks, I can wait a few more weeks for a fix

Colin_Weaver

As an update although the BE 2010 patch is still not available for this issue - the code is included in BE 2010 R2 so if you upgrade to this version and use the reg key to disable the polling your problem should be solved.

Notes:
- 2010 R2 uses the same serial numbers as 2010 so as long as you have the 2010 licenses you can just download it and install.
- You will always need the reg key as we can't disable it across the board because there are some customers that will be using the feature.