cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2012

venkat444
Level 4

We are running backupexec 2012, Can I backup virtual machines from this software? If not is there an upgrade from backupexec 2012 to backupexec 2012 vray which looks like is capable of backing up virtual machines.

Regards

Venkatesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

We are running backupexec 2012, Can I backup virtual machines from this software?

YES definately you can backup both VM as well as physical machines.

To backup VM you need AVVI license (VMware) or Agent for Hyper V (Hyper V ) 

You need 1 license per host, to backup applications within VM than you would also need

application specific license.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

We are running backupexec 2012, Can I backup virtual machines from this software?

YES definately you can backup both VM as well as physical machines.

To backup VM you need AVVI license (VMware) or Agent for Hyper V (Hyper V ) 

You need 1 license per host, to backup applications within VM than you would also need

application specific license.

Ajeet_Srivastav
Not applicable
Accredited

Refer Backup (Admin Guide 2012)  Page Number 781, you get all the details related to VmWare and Operating System Software support to the Backup Job

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As previously advised, in addition to a AVVI/Hyper-V agent licence, you would need 1 agent for applications and databases licence for each application in each VM.  You might want to look at the V-Ray edition which is priced at per VM socket.  The V-Ray edition allows you to backup as many applications/databases as you want.  This option may be cheaper in your case.

The V-Ray edition is a licencing option.  You don't have to re-install BE on the media server.

You might want to look at the licencing guide.

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide