cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups Continue to Fail

Femil
Level 3
 In the last few days my daily backups are failing. The only difference from a successful backup and a failed backup is an "Access denied to file" & "Unable to open the item" message. Is this causing the failed message?
I also noticed that my backups, which are set to start at 11:30pm, are starting later and later? Very concerned and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Emil
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Brian_h1
Level 4
Here's my thought....Backup Exec service is trying to access a file on the network. It needs to get it's permissions accepted. That's were the domain controller comes in. But if you have more than one, it is possible that the BE Service access is not 'carried' on both DC's. BE could be trying to authenticate via a DC that doesn't have BE's credentials.

Hope I made that clear

Brian

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Brian_h1
Level 4
 Is this causing the failed message?

Yes.

my backups, which are set to start at 11:30pm, are starting later and later

It's a window of time, not a set-in-stone start time.

It sounds like something is happening on your network. Is someone else doing backups?
Is someone doing maintenance of the network (taking it offline maybe)?
If the backups are failing all the time, did someone remove Backup Exec's permissions to the files? Was the share removed?

Brian

Femil
Level 3
 Thanks for the speedy response! To answer a few of your quesitions, I am the only one who has access to the admin server and I am the only one who does maintenance.
But I have received this message in my Event viewer.

Proccess MAD.EXE(PID=2536). All Domain Controllers Servers in use are not responding:
Event ID 2102
Source: MSExchange DSAccess
Category: Topology

When I researched this error message in Microsoft, the response was that this was a common error and I don't have to worry about it if I have SP 3.

This is the only error message that I could see causing any problems.

Brian_h1
Level 4
 Do you have SP 3 installed on all the servers including the Backup Exec server?

Brian

Femil
Level 3
 Yes, all servers have SP4 !!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Femil,

How are your backups configured?
Do they run during any maintenance windows run by the appliation? Do you run AOFO on your backups?
Which version of Backup Exec are you using, and have you perhaps got the latest service pack for BEWS installed? Did you then push out the RAWS agent again to your remote servers, as there are most likely updates for the RAWS agents.

Thanks!

Marksw
Level 5
Try installing Sp4.
It sounds like the backup account has lost administrative rights on the servers. If it is backing up exchange servers the account needs to have Exchange Admin rights and local admin rights. The loss of the DC that the event ID is pointing to may account for this.
Check the Veritas KB for more specific info on neccessary rights and how to set them. http://support.veritas.com/

Mark

Brian_h1
Level 4
Here's my thought....Backup Exec service is trying to access a file on the network. It needs to get it's permissions accepted. That's were the domain controller comes in. But if you have more than one, it is possible that the BE Service access is not 'carried' on both DC's. BE could be trying to authenticate via a DC that doesn't have BE's credentials.

Hope I made that clear

Brian