cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups Fail When Media Nearly Full

arrow_203
Level 4
I have several daily full backup jobs running on a Backup Exec 12.5 For Windows Server system.  Each job has its own drive to use, as well as a full 5-day rotation of tapes.  These jobs are configured to append if possible, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

I'm running into a situation whereby, if the media is nearly full, the job will cancel itself, rather than overwrite the media.  Do I have something misconfigured?  The next time the job runs, using the same tape, it will overwrite that tape.  I'm wondering if there's something going on with the pre-scan functionality of the job - I currently have it set for full pre-scan to determine job size.

Anyone have any insight into this one?

Thanks,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'm running into a situation whereby, if the media is nearly full, the job will cancel itself, rather than overwrite the media.  Do I have something misconfigured?  The next time the job runs, using the same tape, it will overwrite that tape.

Once a job has started writing to a tape it cannot then go back and overwrite that same tape. This would effectively erase the beginning of the backup

You just need set up regular Overwrites with intevening Appends, say weekly Overwrites and Daily Appends

Set the APP and OPP for each media set involved.  Remember that the OPP is reset each time a tape is closed, but the OPP starts when the first job Overwrites a tape, and does not change until the next Overwrite job

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'm running into a situation whereby, if the media is nearly full, the job will cancel itself, rather than overwrite the media.  Do I have something misconfigured?  The next time the job runs, using the same tape, it will overwrite that tape.

Once a job has started writing to a tape it cannot then go back and overwrite that same tape. This would effectively erase the beginning of the backup

You just need set up regular Overwrites with intevening Appends, say weekly Overwrites and Daily Appends

Set the APP and OPP for each media set involved.  Remember that the OPP is reset each time a tape is closed, but the OPP starts when the first job Overwrites a tape, and does not change until the next Overwrite job

arrow_203
Level 4
To maintain a measure of simplicity to our jobs, I have set all daily jobs to simply overwrite the tape.  We use a two week rotation, and so should have plenty of point-in-time availability throughout the month.

Thanks for your help!