Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups Failing with error "Directory not Found"

knnagesh
Level 3

Hi All

We have the following set up in our network

1. Backup Exec 2014 server application is installed on a physical server which is running Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 Operating System

2. Dell TL4000 Robotic Tape Library is attached to the same  physical on which the Backup Exec 2014 running

3. Backup Exec 2014 has detected the robotic tape library and communication between the library and the BE 2014 is working fine

4. We use Hitachi HUS 110 storage system which is connected through the fiber channel to a VMware host, disk space has been assigned to individual virtual machines/servers from this storage

5. Regular backup is scheduled on some of the critical servers that are virtual machines and hosted on VMware ESX host servers 

6. We have configured the backup schedule individually  fore each drives  

7. It is observed that scheduled backup on all the drives starts off well and after backing up few Giga bytes, job fails with an error "Directory could not be found" although the directory is present and accessible

We are really furstrated with this backup failures and need a solution to get this resolved.

Appreciate if anyone can help us to resolve this issue.

Please let me know if you need any other details.

Thanks n regards

/\/agesh

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is the BE remote agent installed in the VM's?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you backing up using the Agent for Vmware or the Remote Agent for Windows ?

Is Advanced Open File option enabled in the backup job ?

Additionally, if using any AV, do set it to exclude from scanning BE services.

knnagesh
Level 3

Yes, BE Remote Agent installed on the VMs

knnagesh
Level 3

I've selected the option to add the VMware ESX server and once it pushed the BE agent on to the ESX host.

I've selected the required VM on that VMware ESX host and it pushed Windowd BE  Agent onto that VM, so in a nutshell it has pushed Agent for VMware onto the VMware Host server and also pushed Windows agent onto the VM running Windows 2008 

Advanced Open file option is enabled for this job

I've exlcuded BE services from AV scanning.

VJware
Level 6

Would you post the job log. Are there any errors in the event viewer of the affected VM as well ?

knnagesh
Level 3

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you try running SGmon during the backup ? Maybe this can tell you more.

Run it and post here if you find something interesting.

VJware
Level 6

Would you post the complete job log pls.

Secondly, does a non-GRT backup complete successfully ?

knnagesh
Level 3

HI VJ

I sincerely thanks for your response on this issue

I've attached a txt version of the job log  for your reference.

I'm not sure on the non-GRT backup as I always scheduled the job with default settings in BE with just modifying the tape location and the schedule, I've kept the other configuration as default.

Please go through the logs and let me know.

Thanks n regards

/\/agesh

VJware
Level 6

This seems be a backup using the Agent for Windows and not Agent for VMware. Could you post a screenshot of your backup selections ?

Secondly, have you enabled  "synthetic backup"  / " Advanced Disk Based Option" in your backup job ?

Are there any VSS events in the event viewer of the remote machine ?

Lastly, it may better if you log a formal support case so that we can have a look @ your setup and proceed accordingly.

knnagesh
Level 3

Thanks VJ

I did raise a technical case with Symantec and they did troubleshoot this issue and concluded tht the SAN Drive which  we're trying to  backup is not compatible with BE 2014.

We are using Hitachi HUS 110 Storage system.

I've not enabled the "Synthetic backup/"Advanced Disk Based Option".

I  didn't find any VSS events that corresponds to the Backup job (I mean the corresponding time)