08-28-2014 10:14 PM
We have the following set up in our network
1. Backup Exec 2014 server application is installed on a physical server which is running Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 Operating System
2. Dell TL4000 Robotic Tape Library is attached to the same physical on which the Backup Exec 2014 running
3. Backup Exec 2014 has detected the robotic tape library and communication between the library and the BE 2014 is working fine
4. We use Hitachi HUS 110 storage system which is connected through the fiber channel to a VMware host, disk space has been assigned to individual virtual machines/servers from this storage
5. Regular backup is scheduled on some of the critical servers that are virtual machines and hosted on VMware ESX host servers
6. We have configured the backup schedule individually fore each drives
7. It is observed that scheduled backup on all the drives starts off well and after backing up few Giga bytes, job fails with an error "Directory could not be found" although the directory is present and accessible
We are really furstrated with this backup failures and need a solution to get this resolved.
Appreciate if anyone can help us to resolve this issue.
Please let me know if you need any other details.
Thanks n regards
08-28-2014 10:27 PM
Is the BE remote agent installed in the VM's?
08-28-2014 10:41 PM
Are you backing up using the Agent for Vmware or the Remote Agent for Windows ?
Is Advanced Open File option enabled in the backup job ?
Additionally, if using any AV, do set it to exclude from scanning BE services.
08-28-2014 11:05 PM
Yes, BE Remote Agent installed on the VMs
08-28-2014 11:08 PM
I've selected the option to add the VMware ESX server and once it pushed the BE agent on to the ESX host.
I've selected the required VM on that VMware ESX host and it pushed Windowd BE Agent onto that VM, so in a nutshell it has pushed Agent for VMware onto the VMware Host server and also pushed Windows agent onto the VM running Windows 2008
Advanced Open file option is enabled for this job
I've exlcuded BE services from AV scanning.
08-28-2014 11:16 PM
Would you post the job log. Are there any errors in the event viewer of the affected VM as well ?
08-28-2014 11:28 PM
Here is the job log:
Backup- \\rtbmlbproddb02.rtbaigate.com\E: Directory SQL_BACKUP\FULL\ was not found, or could not be accessed. None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up. V-79-57344-33967 - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed. V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \SQL_BACKUP\TRANS and its subdirecto...
08-28-2014 11:53 PM
Job Log for failed jobs:
Job ended: Thursday, August 28, 2014 at 11:35:13 PM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed. Final error category: Job Errors
Backup- \\RTBMLBPRODAPP1.rtbaigate.com\H: Directory LabelDM\ was not found, or could not be accessed. None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up. V-79-57344-33967 - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed. V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \LABELDM2 and its subdirectories.
V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \WASImages and its subdirectories.
08-28-2014 11:54 PM
Did you try running SGmon during the backup ? Maybe this can tell you more.
Run it and post here if you find something interesting.
08-29-2014 12:26 AM
Would you post the complete job log pls.
Secondly, does a non-GRT backup complete successfully ?
08-30-2014 08:27 PM
I sincerely thanks for your response on this issue
I've attached a txt version of the job log for your reference.
I'm not sure on the non-GRT backup as I always scheduled the job with default settings in BE with just modifying the tape location and the schedule, I've kept the other configuration as default.
Please go through the logs and let me know.
Thanks n regards
08-31-2014 12:48 AM
This seems be a backup using the Agent for Windows and not Agent for VMware. Could you post a screenshot of your backup selections ?
Secondly, have you enabled "synthetic backup" / " Advanced Disk Based Option" in your backup job ?
Are there any VSS events in the event viewer of the remote machine ?
Lastly, it may better if you log a formal support case so that we can have a look @ your setup and proceed accordingly.
08-31-2014 05:14 AM
I did raise a technical case with Symantec and they did troubleshoot this issue and concluded tht the SAN Drive which we're trying to backup is not compatible with BE 2014.
We are using Hitachi HUS 110 Storage system.
I've not enabled the "Synthetic backup/"Advanced Disk Based Option".
I didn't find any VSS events that corresponds to the Backup job (I mean the corresponding time)