cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups all going to one disk in Pool

pjamme
Level 4

I created a pool containg four shared drives.  When I upgraded to BE 15 FP3 it now insists on backing up to Disk 1, so that is now completely full and giving warnings.  The other three drives have a lot of room.

I had a ticket open on this with a Tech I had a hartime understanding.  he said my backupsets would eventually expire and I would be fine.  If it was backing up to the other three, that would probably be true.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Get-BEStorageDevicePool -Name "MSA20" | Set-BEStorageDevicePool -SelectionMethod MostFreeSpaceFirst

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can change the behavior of disk pools using Powershell/BEMCLI  I think the admin guide may even discuss it

See this thread

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/using-set-bestoragedevicepool-command

EDIT: The latest BE 15 admin guid has a section entitled "Specifying a default selection method for a device in
a storage device pool" on page 404

And If you open BEMCLI and read the initial text it will tell you how to open the help file which you can then use to read up on the Syntax of the Set-BEStorageDevicePool  and New-BEStorageDevicePool commands

pjamme
Level 4

Colin,

sorry to be such a noob, but I have not gotten the hang of CLI.

This is what I accomplished:

BEMCLI> Get-BEStorageDevicePool -Name "MSA20"

Name                Description         StorageType         MemberDevices
----                -----------         -----------         -------------
MSA20                                   DiskStorageDevic... {Disk storage 00...

I have four member devices in the pool: Disk Storage 0001, Disk Storage 0002, Disk Storage 0003, Disk Storage 0004.

Disk Storage 0001,  is the one that is completely full.  I have reduced the retention from 4 to 2 weeks for the Tape info, disk was already at 2 weeks.  Thinking it would clear itself out after a bit.  actually this is what the Tech said to do to remove from Disk Storage 0001.

I see in the Show-BEHelp the parameters can be set to MostFreeSpaceFirst, probably what I need, but not expertise enough to correctly send command.

Can you suggest an example for Set-BEStorageDevicePool to do that please?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Get-BEStorageDevicePool -Name "MSA20" | Set-BEStorageDevicePool -SelectionMethod MostFreeSpaceFirst

pjamme
Level 4

Thanks,

Ran without error.

while Veritas server was down I discovered something I had not noticed before.

I have more than one Storage Pool, se Picture below:

MSA20  is the only one i remeber creating, although they all contain the same amount of data.  is this an anomaly or did I atually create storage Device Pool 0001 when I first set this up?

Should i delete it?  gives me a warning of course when I tried earlier but did not follow through.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You probably did create "Device Pool 0001" without realising it.  It can be deleted.

pjamme
Level 4

Thank pkh, been fun.  Hopefully when I get back froom vacation it will be ironed out.

Have a great weekend