cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups and remote installs failing

Nola26
Level 2

I am running BackUp Exec 2012 on a Windows backup storage server.  I have 4 remote servers that I am backing up.  I have licenses for all servers as well as database licenses for my SQL databases.  I had the backups running sucessfully for almost a year with no problems.  Then a couple of months ago I started to get errors and failed backups.  These progressed and now all backups fail with the same error--Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.  

I have tried everything I can look up online and done everything I have read on Symantec forums.  I have since uninistalled the software as well as all remote agent software and attempted to reinstall.  I was able to do a fresh install of BE 2012 on the backup server however, only one remote agent installed sucessfully.  I get fatal intall errors on all other servers-- + 10-16-2014,10:40:48 : FATAL ERROR: Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.ATL,version="9.0.30729.6161",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="amd64",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. I have verified that BE is using my domain admin login credentials and has access to everything on all servers.

On the server that sucessfully installed the agent, the backups seemed to be working ok, until the backup hit around 300GB of data written, then I get the same communication error and the backup fails.

I first thought maybe I had a bad NIC or bad switch.  I disabled NIC2 on BE server and connected directly to the remote server to be backed up and I got the same communication error.  So I have pretty much ruled out a NIC or switch and user permission problems.  I dont know what else to do.  I have read a few posts on various sites that mention an unsupported hotfix that Symantec support will give but cant seem to find any other information about it or what problem it fixes.

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What is the OS of the media server including SP?

Nola26
Level 2

Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Standard  SP1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If IPv6 is enabled for the media server or remote servers, disable it.  If this does not solve the problem, then you should lot a support case for Symantec to take a look at the problem.

You might also want to upgrade to BE 2014 to see whether it resolves the problem.  You would need a new set of licence keys for BE 2014.