cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups for RedHat

RHEL
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a question that I have not been able to get answered and I thought I might find the answer here.

I am looking for a backup solution for a windowless environment and I was wondering if Backup Exec server can be installed in a complete Redhat environment. I know there is an agent for Linux, but I have yet to see anything about the server portion of Backup Exec installing on Redhat.

I am very new to this so I am not even sure if I need the server portion of Backup Exec to back up my Linux environment or if the agent is enough for that. Can anyone advise me on this please? Thank You.

If it cannot be used without Windows, can anyone give me suggestions that I can use for a backup solution?

Thank You

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE needs a Windows server.

You can ask on the NetBackup forum whether it is suitable for your environment

criley
Employee Accredited

@RHEL 

As PKH has already mentioned, Backup Exec requires a Windows media server in order to backup remote Linux servers.

You may want to consider looking at System Recovery for Linux as a potential solution:

https://www.veritas.com/product/backup-and-recovery/system-recovery

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@RHEL 

Best to reach out to a Veritas Partner close to you to advise on the best possible data protection solution.