cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups of AD DC failing after failed LiveUpdate...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi,

I need some help.

After a failed LiveUpdate on a BE server, most backup jobs continue to work, except the DC backups and the Exchange backup.

I'll concentrate on the DC backup for the moment, which fails with:

Backup- \\mydc02\System?State
V-79-57344-844 - Cannot complete the operation because the Active Directory Recovery Agent did not i...

(...why does it mention Exchange when Exchange isn't running on that host?)

I've rebooted the Backup Exec server, but I still get the error above.

1) What can I do?

2) Why would a failed LiveUpdate on the Backup Exec server cause impact to backup jobs of Domain Controllers?

Thanks.

Dave.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It may require. Though if it does, it requires install media of the same version i.e. BE 2012 (it shouldn't matter as this stage whether its is base BE 2012 or a slipstreamed BE 2012)

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

VJware
Level 6

1) What can I do?

As suggested in an earlier post, did you try reinstalling the VFF driver ?

2) Why would a failed LiveUpdate on the Backup Exec server cause impact to backup jobs of Domain Controllers?

Possibly, the failed LiveUpdate caused an issue with the VFF driver. This VFF driver is installed when the Agent for Applications & Database license is installed and is used for GRT backups of AD, SQL, Sharepoint & Exchange.

The impact is caused to GRT enabled backup job & if GRT is disabled, this error shouldn't occur.

sdo

Ok, thanks VJware.

I've fired up AppWiz.cpl on one of the problem backup clients - and I can't see anything labelled as VFF driver, or anything else from Symantec other than Backup Exec in the installed programs list.  I'll have to research VFF - unless you've got a good quick link?

I searched thorugh BKUPINST2012.HTM log file, and I can't see any record of any of the now problem clients having been connected to.

I still don't understand why a LiveUpdate on a Backup Exec 'server' would interrupt the behaviour of backup clients?

Does a LiveUpdate on a Backup Exec 'server' push something to 'clients' even before it has finished successfully updating itself?

sdo

There's nothing in any the event logs of one of the problem clients to indicate that anything was installed, changed, upgraded, stopped or started during the time of the filed LiveUpdate on the BE server.

sdo

There's no mention of VFF in the BE 2012 Admin Guide.

Googling VFF just brings up the symptoms of not having VFF installed.

Anyone got a link that describes how VFF is installed on a BE server?

sdo

Ok - found a forum posting:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vff-driver-not-installing

... which says:

1. Copy VirtFile.sys, VirtFile.inf and VirtApi.dll files from any other Backup Exec media server to root to this Media server
(make sure its running same version and update level \or search for them on exch server)
2. Right click virtfile.inf and hit install
3. Restart Backup Exec services.

...and also mentions using FLTMC to list installed filter drivers.

I've check one of the problem clients and that does have VirtFile loaded, but the Backup Exec server does not.

I've searched the Backup Exec server and found:

C:\>dir /s virtfile.*
 Directory of C:\Windows\System32\drivers

29/04/2013  16:28           115,288 VirtFile.sys

Directory of C:\Windows\System32\DRVSTORE\VirtFile_4ABC04BAA005A3C2C4607D9B749A8F10393EFDD7

29/04/2013  16:28             3,107 VirtFile.inf
29/04/2013  16:28           115,288 VirtFile.sys

C:\>dir /s virtapi.*
File Not Found

...and:

E:\>dir /s virtfile.*
 Directory of E:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\VirtFile

25/10/2011  11:23             3,107 VirtFile.inf
25/10/2011  11:23           114,296 VirtFile.sys

E:\>dir /s virtapi.*
 Directory of E:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec

25/10/2011  11:23           191,608 VirtApi.dll

Directory of E:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\x86

25/10/2011  11:24           157,816 VirtApi.dll

Which 'VirtFile.inf' do I right click and 'install' ?

sdo

And, the size of 'VirtFile.Sys' looks weird.

The one in C:\Windows\System32\drivers      is 115,288 bytes

...but the one in E:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\VirtFile    is 114,296 bytes.

sdo

File properties shows:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\VirtFile.sys                                   version: 2.0.98.0

E:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\VirtFile\VirtFile.sys       version: 2.0.82.0

VJware
Level 6

In your previous post, I had commented:-

"Secondly, try reinstalling the VFF driver by uninstalling and then reinstalling the Agent for Applications & Database license and re-run the backups."

Click on the BE button - Installation & Licensing - Install Options & Licenses... Remove the Agent for Applications & Database license and proceed ahead with the wizard till it completes. Repeat the process but this time, add the license.

sdo

Thanks for sticking with this VJ.

If I try "try reinstalling the VFF driver by uninstalling and then reinstalling the Agent for Applications & Database license", then will this require the original installation media?

VJware
Level 6

It may require. Though if it does, it requires install media of the same version i.e. BE 2012 (it shouldn't matter as this stage whether its is base BE 2012 or a slipstreamed BE 2012)

sdo

Just tried un-installing 'Agent for Databases and Applications', and it's requesting '64 bit media' before it can complete.

This BE server is running BE 2012 SP1.  Where can I download the kit(s) for BE 2012 SP1?

VJware
Level 6

If you don't have the download media for BE 2012  (whether base or BE 2012 SP2 or BE 2012 SP4), then best to contact the licensing team. Additionally, you can check on the Fileconnect site (using the serial number) if you can get BE 2012 to download or not. Licensing team's contact info can be found at - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/assistance_care.jsp

sdo

Contacted support, but they said the supply of older ISO is a technical issue, and not a licensing issue.

We're out of maintenance, so 'support' said they can't help me.

Is that correct - we bought software from Symantec, but now we're not allowed to receive a copy of older versions?

It'll take weeks to re-purchase maintenance (which I will do anyway), but in the meantime, is there a way of getting 'VFF / VirtFile' re-installed without having to use the 'remove and re-add features' method ?

But I'm worried about using the correct version of VirtFile.sys.

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls PM me your contact info and the existing BE serial number ? Thanks.

sdo

I'm now trying to un-install the 'Agent for Applications and Databases' license (so that I re-add them, so that the VFF driver gets re-loaded), but I receive an alert/box which says 'Product licenses may not be deleted.'.

Found that it is in the next screen of the process where the 'Agent for Applications and Databases' can be de-selected.

sdo

Agent for Applications and Databases successfully uninstalled, and re-installed - and now the Windows command 'fltmc' (on the Backup Exec server) shows 'VirtFile' as loaded, and the version of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\VirtFile.sys is now '2.0.82.0'.  This was done whilst an ISO image of 'BE-DVD-1798.17.HF1.iso' was mounted.

The process of un-installing and re-installing the features did not prompt (this time) for the location of the installation media, and must have been able to auto-locate the required files from the NTFS drive letter which was the mounted ISO image.

Currently re-running some of the backups which were previously failing.

sdo

The DC backups have worked now.

@VJware - thanks for all your help.

VJware
Level 6

Great stuff ! Thanks sdo.