cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups running slowly all of the sudden

Rolfert
Not applicable

Hi

We have a windows server 2008 with Backup Exec 15 version 14.2.1180.2621 with FP-4.

Our backups have been running fine until a week ago,where some of our backup jobs are now running slowly.

Its is not all of our jobs, mostly it is system jobs and file jobs. Our SQL backup jobs runs at "normal" speed"

For example, one of our jobs will normally run at 1700 mb/s but now it only runs at 500 mb/s.

I have checked our switches, but they were configured as they should be. i have tried making new jobs, but still it is slow. I have tried both to disk and to tape with the same slow result.

The only two recent changes to the server has been upgrading to FP4 and disabling "Discover data to back up"

Any suggestions as to what i can do next?

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Have you checked your antivirus? Make sure it isn't actively scanning the BE services.

Also check for any prefailure alerts on the servers in question.

Thanks!

BackupRecover
Level 2

I would suggest you to copy a folder size 3-4 gb over the network from a remote server that you backup to Backup Exec server (preferably to the local driver where you have B2D created), make a note of how much time it takes to copy. Create a test backup, select the same folder you copied from remote server and run it to the B2D where you copied the data. IF backup speed and windows copy speed are same, you might need to look at network. If backup is slow than copy :

Is backup exec remote agent version is same as BE server? (They should be updated automatically)

how many remote servers are affected ?

any recent Antivirus changes ?