cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backward Compatable

Martin_Bufton
Level 3

I have a LTO 2 backup created in 10d

Will I be able to use version 12 to restore it?

17 REPLIES 17

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As long as you have a drive that is compatible with the tape, yes, you can restore backups created in previous versions with the curent version of BackupExec

DW1_IT_Departme
Level 3
Is it also possible to restore data from backup exec 10d (for netware - LTO2) with backup exec 12 (for windows LTO3)

Martin_Bufton
Level 3

The resaon I ask is I'm doing a complete restore but when I try a system state restor it fails with on the shadow copy VVS writer.

Any one come across this?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

DW1 -  

Should be able to restore the data, but no security info will be restored

(But it has been several releases since I've tried, and it wasn't pretty at all

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 09-23-2008 10:51 AM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Martin -

I've never come across this. What is the exact error?

DW1_IT_Departme
Level 3

Dear Ken!

Thank you for your answer --> i will try and let you know if it was working!

Could you also have a look at this (https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=be12_general&thread.id=1626) --> nobody knows, its killing me!

many thanks

Martin_Bufton
Level 3

Job Completion Status

Staus Failed

Final Error: 0x0000352 - The specfic volume does not exist. Recreate the volume and then try the job again.

Info link V-79-57344-850

Errors

Restore- \\SERVER|Shadow?Copy?Components - VSS Writer File System

Error writing file data.

V-79-57344-65072 - Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation cancelled.

This is just a DC. shouldn't be any MS Exchange on the box.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

<shrug>

Sorry Martin, don't have a clue.  unless someone else jumps in, you'll probably need to open an incident with Symantec Smiley Sad

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 09-24-2008 09:55 AM

DW1_IT_Departme
Level 3

It doesn't work, i could not make an catalog of the tape!

It runs successfully but when i want to restore it says: before restore --> catalog

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Hmm  Is the tape part of a mult-volume set?  or did the entire backup fit on this one tape? 

One thing you can try

shut down all BE services

rename the catalog folder (to \Catalogs.sav fro example)

restart the services

inventory the tape

catalog the tape

Martin_Bufton
Level 3

the backup fits on one tape.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Well that kill the thought htat you need to inventory all the volumes in the set before cataloging any of them

Try creating a new catalogs folder and see what happens (Don't forget to set the original back after testing Smiley Wink

Martin_Bufton
Level 3

Using the same backup I have just restore the system state of another box.

I then did a repair install and no I can see my AD structure.

However the system is unstable, it thinks it has program installed ( because of the restored registry) although the program files don't exsist.

Can anyone recommend the minumim data that should be backup for a bare metal restore. The current back up I have been provided only has user data, and no Windows/ Program Files etc.

Could this be the cause of the instabilty?

DW1_IT_Departme
Level 3
Is it not working when i have two tapes??

DW1_IT_Departme
Level 3

I have two tapes (one backup) and the catalog is only on the first tape but when i make an catalog it takes a long time and i can see how much MB are on it but i get NO new media ( i see it under resources but nothing in the folder) for the restore.

The backup was made with 10d and netware 5.1!

KJavheri
Level 4
Employee
For a bare-metal restore you need to have a Full C drive and System state backup. Else the restore is unstable 

DW1_IT_Departme
Level 3
I only want to make a simply file restore!!