cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Media Error

Toni_Wheeler
Not applicable
I have installed Backup Exec 10.0 on a Windows Small Business Server 2003 on a new Dell server with a tape drive installed. The first few backups were successful. I am now getting bad media errors and cannot get the backup to work. I created a new job and I even bought new media tapes but cannot get a backup. I just have one main folder of data on the server and just need a simple backup but cannot get one.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it? I am desperate.
3 REPLIES 3

Richard_Hobbs
Level 2
You could try cleaning the tape drive. I have seen contaminants get into the drive during shipping. If still no luck, you probably have a bad drive, get it replaced by Dell support ASAP.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you current on firmware and drivers for both the SCSI controller and tape drive?

Have you double checked cables and terminators?

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Toni!

To first get a backup i would suggest you to run your backup on a backup-to-disk folder if your tape is giving you problems.

Please check the system event logs to see if your scsicontroller is causing any issues!

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.