cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth limitation?

UTG
Not applicable
We are testing SPN for BE and seem to be capped at around 512Kbps on our upload.  Can someone tell me if this is expected/  I have 3Mbps available, could this be because we are signed up as a trial right now?  We did not set a limit ourselves so please help us alleviate this before we begin selling this to our customer base.
7 REPLIES 7

Ted_Migdal
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
To answer your first question, no we do not  set any limitations on our available bandwidth to any customer, including trial customers. There are many factors that can have an effect on your upstream bandwidth. First, I would suggest that you run a speed test at a site like http://www.speedtest.net. This will help us verify your connection speed. If after the test you have verified your 3Mbps upstream is working as intended, we can perform some further tests to try to identify the cause.

ed_hall
Not applicable
I am having this issue also.. I have a full DS3 (44.5 Mbits) up and down.... confirmed with the speed test site mentioned. I was excited to hear about the new service for BEWS12, but my test account transfer rate is so slow it is not useable...

-ed

dans
Not applicable

Has this been resoloved?  I too have a ton of data to backup, but customers are not getting more than 512kps, there's no way this will work for me.

--Dan

Richard_Goodwin
Level 4
Certified
UTG, ed, Dan:

As you have noticed, there are some situations where the upload performance of the Online Storage solution seems to be performing at less than optimal efficiency. The SPN team has made significant progress in identifying the specific scenarios where this occurs, and are working on a resolution for our customers as a top priority. When updates are available to address this, they will be made available at no cost, and will most likely be delivered automatically via our LiveUpdate capabilities.

What I’d like to do is reach out to you directly to discuss your usage scenarios and expectations to make sure we are aligning as closely as we can moving forward.  If you have some extra time and would like to speak directly, please send me a private message on the forums (click my name, and then click the “Send private message” link on my profile page).

In addition, I’m committing to provide additional updates to this topic via the forums as progress is made.

I thank you for your patience in working with us on this issue, and I hope to speak to you directly to address any concerns you may have.

Richard Goodwin
SPN Product Management

Tim_NYC
Level 2
Any news on when this will get resolved ? i am trying a trial right now but will not be able to sign up unless the speed gets better. I have ran many tests on my connection, it is not my end.

Tim_NYC
Level 2
Is there any way to seed the first backup ? i have approx 350GB of data to get over there and it would take forever, also is there a way to then just backup changes ? i don't seem to be able to do it, a copy backup of all data is just not going to work for me.

Ted_Migdal
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

We are always striving to increase the performance of our service. I would like to direct you to another post in this forum. If you could try the suggestions there and let us know if they have helped to resolve your speed issues, it would be most helpful.

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=online_storage_for_be&thread.id=25

To address your second question, currently we have no procedure to perform a sort of "seed backup." We are investigating the idea of "transfer drives," wherein we might send you an external hard drive which you could in turn ship back to us with your data. However,this option is not yet available.

We hope you can find a way to fit our service into your backup strategy. Please don't hesitate to give us a call if you have any further questions. 1-866-223-5977 option 1 option 2.

Message Edited by Ted_Migdal on 01-05-2009 09:14 AM
Message Edited by Ted_Migdal on 01-05-2009 09:52 AM