EXPRESS LTO Generation 3 Media 400GB

what barcode rule should i create if i will use the below barcodes:
GEK001L4 ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Make sure that the tape that you are using for GEK830L4 is a LTO4 tape.  The reason I said this is that some users just put on the label without realising that the L4 means LTO4.

If you are sure that you are using a LTO4 tape for GEK830L4, right-click on the tape/slot and do a erase.  This will "format" the tape.  Be aware that whatever contents on the tape will be erased.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to this doc http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22303

Thanks,

-Sush... 

Colin_Weaver

Barcode rules are only needed if you have mixed drives types inisde a single library so need a method to distinguish which media is compatible with which drive.

If you only have one drive type then no need to use barcode rules.

SOFTimpact
Level 4

Yes but i have the same tape with different barcode label. This is  wrong ?

Colin_Weaver

If you scan/inventory the tape with barcode rukes disabled does it show both the correct label and the correct media type against the tape itself?

SOFTimpact
Level 4

If i scan the tape shows me bacode= GEK830L4 and media type was Scanned... and i change it to LTO

If i inventory shows :

Final error: 0xe000821e - Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors
Completed status:Failed

Colin_Weaver

OK well it's possible a barcode rule might solve that however if the library itself thinks that the barcode does not meet the correct requirements for what it can handle then no matter what rule you set in Backup Exec you will get an error.

Did you make sure that the barcodes you bought were correct for your library and your media types?

Reason for question is I saw something similar ages ago and the customer in question was adamant that he had bought the same labels as previously, just starting from his next unused label. Turned out he was one digit out on the serial number of what he ordered from his barcode supplier and although the label looked almost the same as the ones that worked it was invalid for the combination of hardware and media in use.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Make sure that the tape that you are using for GEK830L4 is a LTO4 tape.  The reason I said this is that some users just put on the label without realising that the L4 means LTO4.

If you are sure that you are using a LTO4 tape for GEK830L4, right-click on the tape/slot and do a erase.  This will "format" the tape.  Be aware that whatever contents on the tape will be erased.

VJware
Level 6

As pkh mentioned & per the screenshot, looks like all the other labels are L3, except this one which is L4 & meant for LTO4 tapes.....

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check whether your tape drive is LTO3 or LTO4.  If it is a LTO3 tape drive, then it cannot read/write LTO4 tape.

SOFTimpact
Level 4

OK thanks a lot for your help... I will change the labels to L3 .. and i will let you know.