cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Setup Fails - BE 12

Steran
Level 2

We are running BE 12 on Server 2003.  We have our file server on the same server running BE.  I pushed out remote server to two other servers to backup some files.  All was working fine until trail period ended, I did not know that you needed seperate licenses for remote agent.  We purchased the two licenses and now we are still having issues.  I had no idea it would be this hard to do a very basic backup.   The windows backup works so easy, I figured BE would be just as easy. 

I created a Media set and have created a transfer schedule to go along with my daily backup job.  I'm using a PoweverVault connected to the BE server.  I would think it would be very straight forward.

My last two errors are:

DAILY -- The job failed with the following error: Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.

and

Daily Backup --  Teh job failed with the following error: The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed.

This is really getting old, I can't believe it is this hard to schedule backup.  And then you don't get any phone support unless you pay more on top of the expensive license.  Live and learn.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

@Steran wrote:

My last two errors are:

DAILY -- The job failed with the following error: Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.

If you look at the Job Log, which device is it that gives you this error? I assume you've added the Remote Agent licenses to BE? 

and

Daily Backup --  Teh job failed with the following error: The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed.

This could be for a variety of reasons. If you use the default settings, all your tapes will not be overwritable after they've been used. Have you added a media set or changed the settings of the default media set?

Steran
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  I finally got the backup to run successfully.  I rebooted the server and then created a brand new Job set.  I do have a transfer media job as well.  I was wondering though, do you need to seteup an inventory job as well? 

Thanks again for the suggestion, it just sucks that something that should be so easy is made so difficult.