cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be 2010 MS SQL Agent mirrored database

Michael_Pultz-H
Level 3
Hi!

I would like to know if anyone have any insights into making a successfull backup of a MS SQL 2008 mirrored database.

I have a backupset include both nodes of the mirroed SQL servers, but the backup always fails with:

V-79-65323-954 - The database "<name>" cannot be opened. It is acting as a mirror database

I understand that it's not possible to do a backup of a mirrored database, but if BE can detect that the DB is mirrored then it should not throw an error, but only an information regarding the mirror, as the principal DB is being backed up correctly.

Is there any way to make BE understand that the DB is mirrored and not throw an error, resulting in a failed backup job?

Best regards,

Michael
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Deselect the mirrored database and backup only the principal database.  See the document below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67641

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andreas_Pross
Level 3

I have the same problem. Is there a solution?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Deselect the mirrored database and backup only the principal database.  See the document below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67641

Andreas_Pross
Level 3

In my case, I have automatic failover. So one day, server1 is the principal and maybe after windows update or something else, server2 may be the principal. Even if I create a script which forces a fallback to server1. If server1 is down for some reason, I will not have any backup or i have to manually change the backup jobs. So there is a chance that I haven't a backup for a few days if no one is there to change the backup jobs after a failover.

The best way would be the ability to specify principal and mirror and backup exec could decide which is online and should be backedup.

The other way would be an option to allow backup exec to ignore the mirrored database. So i can select it, but wouldn't get an exception if it is mirrored.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can suggest this as an Idea (see Ideas section).  If enough users vote for your suggestion, then it might be incorporated in some future release of BE.