cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be9 problem - Urgent

v_harry
Level 2
 Hello.

I am having a problem using Veritas Backup Exec 9.0.

I am trying to restore a backup that is using 2 magnetic tapes DLT/40.

When I insert the tape #1, Backup Exec can get the catalog tape information. AfterBackup Exec reads the tape #2, it says Sucess, but
I am not accessing the data stored in this tape.

The logfile show that follow has the this contents:

Backup of "E: Files"
Backup set #3 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Backup York FS"
The media for sequence number 2 in this media family has not been inventoried.
No sets on this media may be cataloged.
The media operation was terminated.

Could anybody help me, please?

Thanks a lot.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RonnyE
Level 4
 Agree with harliquin, try re-cataloging the tape as per http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190820.htm The data is probably still on the tape but isn't cataloged in the database.

Ronny

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

harliquin
Level 3
Partner
Have you tried running an inventory on the tapes, or recataloging them?

That should solve it!

RonnyE
Level 4
 Agree with harliquin, try re-cataloging the tape as per http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190820.htm The data is probably still on the tape but isn't cataloged in the database.

Ronny

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
The error message indicates that it can't find the correct media for the second tape/bkf file which could mean
- you need to inventory the second tape
- you have an incorrect second piece of media
- or it is correct but another job overwrote the media at a later time - which would make it part of a different family and backup set.
- there is a 3rd media relating to the family that you need as well as the 2 you already have (for instance it could be that your first media is actually sequence number 3 in the family and it needs the media that came before to run the catalog job - this would potentially be a scenario if you run append jobs and never do overwite jobs.

To break down what you posted:

"Backup set #3 on storage media #1" indicates that it was in 3rd set on the first media
- a set in this instance means a drive letter, a system state etc so assuming that you say had 2 drives and backup C: D: and System State in that order that Set #3 would be the System State.
- if you do append jobs then the set could be the first drive letter in the second job...

"Media for Sequence number 2 in this media family has not been inventoried" means it is looking for a media that is not present in the inventory of the server.

As I have a feeling the Media #1 would equal Sequence Number 1 - it would appear  to be your second tape that has either needs to have an inventory job run, haw been overwriten or is the wrong tape.