I am having a problem using Veritas BackupExec 9.0.
I am trying to restore a backup that is using 2 magnetic tapes DLT/40.
When I insert the tape #1, BackupExec can get the catalog tape information. AfterBackupExec reads the tape #2, it says Sucess, but
I am not accessing the data stored in this tape.
The logfile show that follow has the this contents:
Backup of "E: Files" Backup set #3 on storage media #1 Backup set description: "Backup York FS"
The media for sequence number 2 in this media family has not been inventoried.
No sets on this media may be cataloged.
The media operation was terminated.
The error message indicates that it can't find the correct media for the second tape/bkf file which could mean
- you need to inventory the second tape
- you have an incorrect second piece of media
- or it is correct but another job overwrote the media at a later time - which would make it part of a different family and backup set.
- there is a 3rd media relating to the family that you need as well as the 2 you already have (for instance it could be that your first media is actually sequence number 3 in the family and it needs the media that came before to run the catalog job - this would potentially be a scenario if you run append jobs and never do overwite jobs.
To break down what you posted:
"Backup set #3 on storage media #1" indicates that it was in 3rd set on the first media
- a set in this instance means a drive letter, a system state etc so assuming that you say had 2 drives and backup C: D: and System State in that order that Set #3 would be the System State.
- if you do append jobs then the set could be the first drive letter in the second job...
"Media for Sequence number 2 in this media family has not been inventoried" means it is looking for a media that is not present in the inventory of the server.
As I have a feeling the Media #1 would equal Sequence Number 1 - it would appear to be your second tape that has either needs to have an inventory job run, haw been overwriten or is the wrong tape.