cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for Two-Stage Backup (Local and then to Cloud)

ModernMetal
Level 2

I have a client who is using a Synology NAS device for a iSCSI backup of his Virtualized environment using Backup Exec V-Ray Edition. They are also wanting to use Nirvanix as a secondary backup for cloud storage. My concern (or question): What is the best method of backing up so as to not interupt users during the their regular work hours? I am assuming a two-stage strategy is likely, first to the Synology, and then to the cloud, but I am concerned that there isn't enough time to backup up what will be 400-600 GB of data. It seems to me, the default full, followed by incremental jobs, even if done on a Friday night in conjunction with a secondary upload to the cloud, might not permit enough time to finish the jobs? Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks in advance,

Chris 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The duplicate jobs can run at the same time as the backup jobs.  The only question is whether your media server has enough horsepower to do all this work.  There are a lot of I/O's to content with.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should only be concerned about the initial backup to the NAS device.  Once this is done, there is no further impact on the VM's, you can duplicate the backup sets from the NAS device to the cloud at leisure.

ModernMetal
Level 2

It won't impact the VMs, but it will impact internet access, true? Plus I will need to run two concurent jobs in order to finish up a "full" on the cloud backup, while the the backup-to-disk is doing it's nightly incrementals- does BE allow this?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The duplicate jobs can run at the same time as the backup jobs.  The only question is whether your media server has enough horsepower to do all this work.  There are a lot of I/O's to content with.