Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Solution for backing up Server 2012 to RDX

Andrew_Griggs
Level 3
Partner

Hello all,

Looking at the various disucssions regarding backing up Windows Server 2012 R2, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on what's the best way to backup a single physical server to RDX.  Do I:

1.  Downgrade to regular Windows Server 2012 and use Backup Exec 2012?

OR

2. Use Windows Server 2012 R2 and use System Recovery Server 2013 instead?

The server will be a domain controller with AD, DNS, DHCP and file/printer server, with an internal RDX drive.  Granular restore of individual files/folders is a must.  The client doesn't have any pressing need to run Windows Server 2012 R2.

I'm a big fan of System Recovery Server, but I know it doesn't really handle incremental backups to removable devices well (unless this has changed in the last update and someone can enlighten me), so I'd be running full backups every night to the RDX.  With potentially 1.8TB to backup, the duration of a full backup job has me a little concerned.

On the other hand, I'm not really seeing anyone saying good things about Backup Exec on Server 2012 right now.

As per the title, I'd welcome any suggestions on the best solution in this scenario.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you need to install 1 of the software packages as a media server on Server 2012, just be aware that BE 2012 (nor BE 2010...and it will never!) support Windows Server 2012 R1 or R2 as a media server...which will make your choice easier if SSR does.

You'd need to install BE 2012 on a Server 2008 R2 server in order to do a file-level backup of Server 2012 R1 via RAWS agent.

Thanks!

w-d
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Please be aware that SSR 2013 is still not supporting Windows 2012 R2, but will be soon:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ssr-2013-support-windows-812012-r2-coming-soon

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it does already...?

See the only comment from Chris Riley. The update was released 2 days ago (18.02.2014).

Thanks!

w-d
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

you are right, thank you for correcting me

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If you don't need a solution today, you may wish to sign up for the beta of the next Backup Exec 2014 and use that on your Windows Server 2012 R2.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-beta-program-important-update