cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices SQL Full and Simple recovery

dennisblotenbur
Level 3

Hi all,

I've a question about what's the best solution about backing up an SQL server with a lot of databases, some of this databases has the simple recovery modus enabled, the other databases has the full recovery modus enabled.

Now is my question, what is the best way to backing up all this databases?

For the databases with a simply recovery modus, the daily log back-up is not desired, but on this server there are also full recovery databases they requires an daily log job. Is the best way to create 2 jobs for this server, one with all full recovery databases and another one with all the simple recovery databases? Or are there other (easier) posibilities?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Blotenburg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You will have to create separate jobs as Log backups against SImple mode will create errors during the backups and failure to do log backups of the full mode databases will mean your transaction logs are not being truncated.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You will have to create separate jobs as Log backups against SImple mode will create errors during the backups and failure to do log backups of the full mode databases will mean your transaction logs are not being truncated.

dennisblotenbur
Level 3

Thanks!

I will create 2 jobs, one for the full mode databases with a log backup and one for the simple mode databases without the log jobs.

Thanks for the reply!