cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best procedure for Archiving Tape

sazzad
Level 4

Everyday there are 8-9 Backup jobs are running in our Backup Exec.

Recently deciding to do make a Archive of One day's data. Please do suggest some recommendations.

Please do keep in mind that, all the jobs are configured as "Tape Daily Backup". Do i need to reconfigure as "Infinite Data to Tape" before archiving?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There are usually 2 steps which you can use -

1) Assign the tapes to a media set which is Infinite - Overwrite Protection. This way the tapes are protected at the software level.

2) Slide the write protection tab across the tape. This way the tapes are protected at the hardware level.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Are you referring to using the Archive Option? 

sazzad
Level 4
Like yesterday we used arount 6 Tapes for daily Backup & all the backup jobs were as "Tape Daily Backup".

I just want to put all those 6 tapes to a secure place. So, that after 5-6 months if any old data is required, we can restore them as well.

My query is, do i need to modify those job or it's enough?.
I am just concern that in future we will not have stress to restore.
I hope you get my point!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Just physically turn on the write prevention switch on the tapes and store them away. Unless you overwrite the tapes, the information on them will remain and your cab restore from them

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There are usually 2 steps which you can use -

1) Assign the tapes to a media set which is Infinite - Overwrite Protection. This way the tapes are protected at the software level.

2) Slide the write protection tab across the tape. This way the tapes are protected at the hardware level.