cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best scenario to accomplish the backup

hotelcalefornia
Level 4

Hi,

I have 3 LTO tapes. every tape capacity is 38 GB. i'm wondering about the best scenario to backup my data (data size =10GB).

Backup method: Copy

Symentec Backup Exec 11x

Windows 2003 server.

Thanks to hear all your advices about this matter.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

There's not enough information here to give you appropriate advice.

Your backup policy should be a result of the business requirements. I.e. how long do you need to retain data for? If you lose data, how far back in time is it acceptable to go in terms of data loss?

A complete shot in the dark here might be (if you have the disk space free) to create a backup-to-disk folder and do a full backup weekly to it and a differential backup each day, then once a week, duplicate to tape.

One thing's for sure though - I'd get more tapes!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If your data size is only 10GB, I'd go with a Full copy. No need for a copy, as it will all fit onto that tape.

Create a media set, and assign it an OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) of 2 days, and append of 0. Create a backup job that uses the Full method, and assign it to your newly created media set.

You will have to label your tapes physically in order to keep track of them, assuming you don't have barcodes.

Laters!

hotelcalefornia
Level 4

Dear CraigV,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

What about the backup schedule. should be daily or weekly? as I mentioned before I only have 3 tapes.

Regards,

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

There's not enough information here to give you appropriate advice.

Your backup policy should be a result of the business requirements. I.e. how long do you need to retain data for? If you lose data, how far back in time is it acceptable to go in terms of data loss?

A complete shot in the dark here might be (if you have the disk space free) to create a backup-to-disk folder and do a full backup weekly to it and a differential backup each day, then once a week, duplicate to tape.

One thing's for sure though - I'd get more tapes!

CraigV

3 tapes isn't enough to do any sort of tape rotation backup.

Hywel has hit the nail right on the head there...go with his plan if you have disk space available.

CraigV

...any news here?