Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best solution to back up Citrix Xen Server

downingtownryan
Level 3

Hello,

I am wondering what the best solution would be for the following:

I have on Citrix Xen Server host that has 7 virtual machines on it.  I am currently using PHD Virtual to back this up to a NAS.  I am looking to move to different software for the backups.  One of the virtual machines is running SQL and one is running AD and DNS.  There is also one physical server that has AD, DNS, and DHCP on it that i would also like to back up in the same solution.  What i was curious about is what is the best way to back all of this up?  Is it Back Up Exec or System Restore?  Or would neither work?  I am looking for something that will back up to the existng NAS and allow for item level restores as well as fast restores of full VM's if ever needed.

Second question is, assuming one of the two products will work is it best practice to install it on its own server or could it be installed on teh physical that is existing with AD, DNS and DHCP?  I am assuming its own server and that is what i would shoot for, but for the sake of saving money i like to know my options.

Thank you for your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. BE doesn't support XenServer like it does with Hyper-V and VMware, and Veritas also doesn't publish a roadmap. There is no indication they will ever allow GRT-based backups and restores from their software. Your best bet therefore, if you want to use BE, is to do file-level backups, but restoring your VMs becomes very long-winded.

Symantec System Restore might do this for you, and I would suggest opening this part of your query in a new forum discussion there.

2. You could install it on its own server, or on an existing. I've done both and either works well. The only thing I would see as hampering the installation of BE on an existing server is if that server dies and you have no other Domain Controller which will handle authentication.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. BE doesn't support XenServer like it does with Hyper-V and VMware, and Veritas also doesn't publish a roadmap. There is no indication they will ever allow GRT-based backups and restores from their software. Your best bet therefore, if you want to use BE, is to do file-level backups, but restoring your VMs becomes very long-winded.

Symantec System Restore might do this for you, and I would suggest opening this part of your query in a new forum discussion there.

2. You could install it on its own server, or on an existing. I've done both and either works well. The only thing I would see as hampering the installation of BE on an existing server is if that server dies and you have no other Domain Controller which will handle authentication.

Thanks!

downingtownryan
Level 3

Thank you for your response.  I will post in that fourm as well.

churchers
Not applicable

why move from PHD Virtual.  I'm looking to move to it.??

downingtownryan
Level 3

Churchers

I have had some random issues with it not backing up VM's and not showing anywhere that they are not backed up.  I only realize they are not when i go to do a restore and then realize that the last time it backed up successfully was weeks prior.  I may just rebuild the enviornment as well.