cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binding RALUS to a specific IP/Network?

Patrick_Tavares
Level 3
The old Unix Agent had the "force_address" option which would bind the remote agent to a specific IP address. Does the RALUS have this or a similar option? We upgraded to the RALUS but have been unable to figure out how to force IP binding... it currently listens on the wrong IP address in our multi-homed machine.

Thanks,
-Patrick
22 REPLIES 22

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
Edit the RALUS.cfg and enter the IP adress of the NIC that you want bind to media server.

Patrick_Tavares
Level 3
Ashwin,

Thanks for the reply. Where in the RALUS.cfg file should the IP be added and with what syntax? Will simply putting the IP address at the top of the file suffice?

Thanks.
-Patrick

Florian_Egginge
Level 3
hi

you do it with force_address

greetings
florian

Patrick_Tavares
Level 3
Florian,

Thanks for the reply as well. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my initial post, the "force_address" option which worked on the BE 8.x/9.x remote Unix agent does not work for the BE 10 RALUS remote Unix agent. The syntax and config files are completely different. Ashwin, would you happen to know the correct syntax to specify a "forced" IP in the ralus.cfg file?

Just to confirm, we have a license key installed for our RALUS agent.

Thanks,
-Patrick

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

In order to give you an accurate solution, we would like to know whether you would like to bind to aspecific IP on the client side or on the media server side. Please revert back to us with thedetails.

Thanks

Patrick_Tavares
Level 3
Sandeep,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to bind RALUS agent to a specific IP on the remote Unix client. The media server only has one IP address as it belongs only to one network.

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hi Patrick,

You can create User-Defined Selection by IP for the remote Unix Server:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254193

In order to create User-Defined selection by server name add the host name and IP adress of the Unix machine in hosts file of the backup server.

Thank You.

Patrick_Tavares
Level 3
I am aware of the User Defined shares. However, that is not the functionality that I am asking. I would like to configure these agents, for which my company paid money, to do what the free, older Unix agents can do.

It has been sometime since I posted this original message. It seems that RALUS 10 does not have the capability to do this. I want to know why we paid for several RALUS agents (not cheap) when they can't even do what the free agents can do. For a supposedly new and improved product, it would seem that I can't bind to a specific IP nor can I really even backup with it (see link below):

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=103&threadID=44650

I've had to revert to the 8.x/9.x Unix agent just to properly backup our servers.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Patrick

Petter_Ramme
Level 2
Patrick,

I had the same problem as you and were having lots and lots of trouble, but I found the problem and did a workaround.
The problem is that when the agent start it works fine and binds to the nic that routes to the media server but when it stars to listen it does a name lookup and only listen to the nic bound to the hostname. Big flaw in the software.

But just add the same alias name in /etc/hosts for both nics and the the agent will start advertising on both the nics. And you can then perform the backup over whatever nic you want.

This did the tric for me after blocking the outside nic on port 10000 in the firewall. Then the backup worked on thae backup backbone.

Example of the hostsfile:
192.168.100.5 backup08.intranet.kase.se myname08
192.168.1.6 myname08.intranet.kase.se myname08

Hope that you find this answer usefull!
Petter

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Patrick,

We understand your concern.
As mentioned before, the functionality of force_address as it was in legacy Unix agents is not possible with RALUS.
The workaround is to add the host name and IP address of the Unix system in hosts file of the Media Server or use UDS.

I would suggest you to log an enhancement request:
http://enhancement.veritas.com

Thanks,

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Hello

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress. However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Regards,
Gaurav

Patrick_Tavares
Level 3
Our issue has not yet been resolved. Please keep this post open until we have had a chance to fully attempt the suggested solutions here.

Not applicable
Has the RALUS client been updated to select which network to backup over?

Patrick_Tavares
Level 3
We've made several attempts to use this RALUS agent with and without UDS. The only way we can get the backups going through the desired network is to use UDS. However, when using UDS, we encounter the issue described in this thread:

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=103&threadID=44650

We've installed the very latest version of RALUS, but no luck.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

As stated earlier we request you to log an enhancement for this particular issue
As per the above mentioned thread we shall continue with the troubleshooting of the same.

Thanks.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
Hello Patrick,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered"and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Thanks!

Patrick_Tavares
Level 3
As suggested I've made an enhancement request.

I have also been force to downgrade from Backup Exec 10.0 to 9.1. We've spent almost a total of 120 man hours tracking down issues in BackupExec 10 (not to mention money on these RALUS agents). As far as we are concerned, BackupExec 10.0 is a complete waste of time and money.

Thanks everyone for your input. You may close this issue.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
closing this case as per customers update

Matthew_Kozlosk
Not applicable
Let's re-open this issue. I can't get my multi-homed linux (RHES 3.0) to backup on the proper subnet... I tried tricking it with the hostnames - doesn't work...

C'mon Veritas - don't try to push us to NetBackup; you will lose, it's just too expensive!