cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bkf format in Symantec Backup Exec

Acherepov
Level 2

Hello.

Does anybody know - bkf format of "backup files to disk" is excatly like Windows bkf format?

I have a bkf file, which contains some data. This bkf was be done with Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2.

When i try to restore data from it thru NtBackup - i get about 64 Kb and then process is frozen.

When i try to restore data from it thru Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 - all be allright.

I try to restore thru Ntbackup on three differential computers (Windows XP and Windows Server 200 and 2003 R2) - same error.

The catalogization is all right - a see all data, bur restore process frozen about restoring 64 kb.

My question is:

- Can i restore data from bkf files with Ntbackup? Or i must use ONLY Symantec Backup?

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Acherepov
Level 2

I see that.

I know that ntBackup utility MUST read and restore bkf files which was made by Symanetc Backup Exec.

But when i try - i get a failure. (

Maybe it is a only my error - then , please, help me to resolve it.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Symantec always recommended to use BE to restore it and not to use any other utility. If you are backing it up with BE then should use BE to restore it as well.

They have changed a lot of things in BE 2010 though the file format is still .bkf but you never know what is difference in the backgroud. The ntbackup was created by Veritas and might have used same technology in previous version of BE but the 2010 has lot of new features and you never know if something is changed.

Acherepov
Level 2

It's look like a truth.

But it make me sad.

I want to do backup with Symantec Backup Exec, and i want CAN restore my data, quick and easy, even my Backup Exec Server is down or failure.

Previosly i can do it (in Symantec Backup exec 10 ). But now - do not.

very sad.

teiva-boy
Level 6

This is because while the MTF format is used for both NTBackup and BackupExec, the data written is not understood by NT Backup in newer versions of BE.  

Just because 10d could do it 5+ yrs ago, doesn't mean the newer builds like 11d and higher which are already architecturally different should be able to too.

You can download a trial copy off symantec.com of BackupExec and not put in a license key, and use the product for 60 days, that is your best workaround.