cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank Restore Windows

JPink2
Level 3

I am attempting to backup a 2010 Exchange server that is on a Windows 2012 server running Backup Exec 2012.  I have all of the very latest patches and hotfixes installed.  The Exchange server is remote and being backed up via a remote agent, directly to tape.  The entire server is being backed up.  The backup runs fine, with no errors, and the Job History shows it is completed normally.  The problem is that if I attempt to restore, the restore wiziard shows a blank screen with no selections available.  If I look at Backup sets it is blank as well.  I have tried rebuilding the index on the catalog, but that made no difference.

I've seen other posts with similar issues, but never a resolution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JPink2
Level 3

Thanks everyone for your efforts. Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that the only way this ever gets fixed is if I have technical support from Symantec and/or if I upgrade to Backup Exec 2014.  Doing that will cost nearly $1,000 and I am just not willing to put that much money into what has so far been a very disappointing product.  I am taking that $1,000 and putting it towards a Barracuda Backup appliance and cloud subscription.  I hate to just abandon my investment in Backup Exec, tapes and tape drive, but at this time it seems like the only logical answer.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...also make sure that the restore date selection is correct...I've seen BE select random dates for the restore, ignoring what's on tape. Manually selecting the date range correctly works.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is BE 2012 completely updated ? (At least with SP3, if not fully patched ?)

Secondly, try to recatalog the storage media and check if the restore wizard shows the selections. If not, remote the Exchange server resource from the Backup & Restore tab (this will remove all jobs, job logs, job histories but not the actual backup sets) and re-add it. Check if the backup sets appear for restore or not.

Try this KB as well - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217751

JPink2
Level 3

It is completely updated, every patch, hotfix and service pack imaginable.  Checked LiveUpdate this morning and it is completely up to date.

I have recataloged and removed the server and re-add it.  Stil nothing.

I'll check on that tech article.

Thanks.

VJware
Level 6

Can you confirm what updates are listed under BE button - Installation & Licensing - Installed Updates (Hate to be a stickler but LiveUpdate some times incorrectly reports that BE is up to date)

In addition to the KB article and if the Exchange backup sets are on tape, you could try duplicating them to disk and then check the restore selections.

JPink2
Level 3

I don't get anywhere near that far.  The first screen I hit is blank.  All filters are off.

JPink2
Level 3

I've tried the recataloging and reindexing and no help.

Anything else?

JPink2
Level 3

Screen shot of all updates.  I know I have installed more than that, it must roll them all up into Service Pack 4?

VJware
Level 6

Yes, previous updates are rolled up to SP4.

Have you tried a catalog of the tapes with the option "use storage based media catalogs" unchecked ?

Does duplicating the backup sets from tape to disk help ?

JPink2
Level 3

I'll try try to catalog with that unchecked.

I can't duplicate to tape, when I try to duplicate it just tells me no backup sets are available.

Would Backup Exec 2014 be more stable in this case?

Thanks for your help.

VJware
Level 6

I remember seeing such an issue at least twice in BE 2012 but not in BE 2014. And yes, BE 2014 is much more stable than BE 2012 in lots of ways.

If long cataloging doesn't work, i would recommend you to log a support case.

JPink2
Level 3

When I tried to catalog the tape with the "use storage based media catalogs" unchecked, the job immediately failed. Error code E0084C8.

An unknown error occurred on device "Tape drive 0005".
V-79-57344-33992 - The backup storage device has failed.

With it checked I am able to catalog.

VJware
Level 6

If possible, create a new backup job and target it to disk. Check if the Exchange restore selections populate or not.

JPink2
Level 3

Thanks everyone for your efforts. Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that the only way this ever gets fixed is if I have technical support from Symantec and/or if I upgrade to Backup Exec 2014.  Doing that will cost nearly $1,000 and I am just not willing to put that much money into what has so far been a very disappointing product.  I am taking that $1,000 and putting it towards a Barracuda Backup appliance and cloud subscription.  I hate to just abandon my investment in Backup Exec, tapes and tape drive, but at this time it seems like the only logical answer.