cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank messages restored by BE2010 from Exchange 2k3 backup

opg
Level 4

From an BE 2010 installation using the de-duplication option I'm trying to restore the inbox folder of a successfully backed up Exchange 2003 server. Full backup of database with GRT . All the messages get restored, but with blank contents (subject lines and addresses are fine).

Initially, I was using the 12.5 Exchange Agent option - which I since then updated to the 2010 agent on the Exchange servers, however with the same result. This is wether restoring back ups made with either agent - I tried with messages from a different mailbox with the same result.

Restores show up as successful, however in the job log it shows exceptions which say:

WARNING: The file ŒUser Quarantine Release Notification - Tue, 09 Feb 2010 00:10:41 +0800 was restored from a file that was corrupt when it was backed up, or the backup file is now missing or corrupt. Try restoring the file from another backup, or try repairing the file.

I've noticed that previous versions of BackupExec also had this issue (email restores resulting in a blank message/missing attachments), later fixed by a patch. Could this be related?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

opg
Level 4
Solution was found with the assistance of the Symantec support people. Apparently the error comes from an unregistered DLL during the installation of BE 2010 on Win2k8 R2.

Solution:
- launch *as administrator* a command prompt
- go to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\x86
- do: Regsvr32 remsrvps32.dll

Retry restore, all messages should be complete now with contents

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

opg,

I don't have a technote for the issue yet, but this is something we are aware of and currently looking into.

opg
Level 4
Ok, so it is a known problem, not just something odd with my setup. Good, at least there's a good chance it will be solved :)

Charles_Laut
Level 2
I currently have an open case with tech support.3/15/2010
When restoring an email from a GRT the message body is blank.
I had to move back to 12.5

opg
Level 4
:( I'm hoping there actually is a solution fairly quick. No very useful to have backups you cannot restore.

opg
Level 4
Well, I opened a support case yesterday for this issue. But no one seems to have read it, since I received no reply of any sort...

opg
Level 4
Solution was found with the assistance of the Symantec support people. Apparently the error comes from an unregistered DLL during the installation of BE 2010 on Win2k8 R2.

Solution:
- launch *as administrator* a command prompt
- go to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\x86
- do: Regsvr32 remsrvps32.dll

Retry restore, all messages should be complete now with contents

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

We are currently looking into this issue, which is mentioned in Technote http://support.veritas.com/docs/347199 .  At this time the workaround mentioned in the Technote as well as mentioned above by OPG should allow for a successful restore.