cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brick level folder backup limit?

Daniel_Ragsdale
Level 3
Is there some sort of Brick level folder limit when backing up a mailbox?

I have a user that has over 700 folders just in his Inbox (not nested) and I started to get failure messages (shown below, none of the documents from linking by the error helped) right around the 500 mark on folders.

V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory John Doe Top of Information StoreInbox TRAVEL SERVICE and its subdirectories.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Daniel_Ragsdale
Level 3
bump

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please recreate the job and verify the result.
Also please verify whether the mais have not been deleted?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Daniel_Ragsdale
Level 3
Yes, I performed the steps in the following aritcle:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/276561.htm
Those included creating a new account for the backups as well as creating a new backup job. Same exact issues are still occuring.

What is "mais"?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following technote.
Title:
Exchange 2000/2003 Mailbox backup fails on specific mailboxes with the error "Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?Exchange User and its subdirectories."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/249714

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Daniel_Ragsdale
Level 3
This is NOT a deleted user. None of your documents referenced directly from Vertias are adequate for this issue.

Is there an issue with having a lot of folders? 500+ ?

Daniel_Ragsdale
Level 3
bump

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
-There is no known issue regrading too many folders. To verify if this is causing the problem, you may split the job.
-If there is an antivirus on the exchange server please stop the scans during backup.
-Ensure that there is no third party application accessing the folders.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.-

Daniel_Ragsdale
Level 3
There is no AV software running on the server OS. However, I am running Groupshield Exchange but have not been stopping that engine during the email backup. Should I be?

I will try creating a special backup job for the problematic mail folder.

Daniel_Ragsdale
Level 3
After splitting up the backup job (ensuring that there was less then 500 folders selected in each), it is now completing fine.

This in fact means that there is a 500 limit on folders for backup.

Is there any way to increase this through a modification to the registry?

Daniel_Ragsdale
Level 3
bump

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Daniel,

This error could occur because of a MAPI limitation which does not allow one MAPI session to exceed the maximum number of objects of a given type. You can follow the modifications suggested in the technote given below::

Title:When doing a brick level backup of the Microsoft Exchange Public Folders or the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes hosted on an Exchange 2003 server, the backup fails with the error message: "Backup - \\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders Public folder Directory not found. Can not backup directory "
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271186

Hope this helps. Revert if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.