cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing vaulted tapes back

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Sometimes a tape that is needed to complete a verify job has already been moved to a vault.  When we put it back in the libray, it shows up as scratch media and the job is still waiting on that tape, even though it's in the library.

Is this normal?  Is there a way to "un-vault" a tape?

4 REPLIES 4

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

How are you putting the tape back in the library? 

If you are using an import job and your tapes have bar codes labels, then BE should know what the tape is and begin to use it.

If you re not running an import job, then you may need to run a scan or inventory job. 

What tape library are you using?

SHI-CRO
Level 6

We're not doing an import job.  We're only putting the tape back in the library and the library does the inventory and the tape shows in the slots in the BE console.

Will starting an inventory job before we put the tape in do the trick?  I've seen you can't do an inventory job for a tape that's already in the library.

In BE it says our library is an IBM 3573-TL, but it's Dell branded.  It's a 2 drive LTO6, 24 slot library.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@SHI-CRO wrote:

Will starting an inventory job before we put the tape in do the trick?  I've seen you can't do an inventory job for a tape that's already in the library.

An inventory job is technically done against a slot, not a tape.  So, the inventory job would need to be started AFTER the tape was placed in the slot, otherwise the inventory job would report that the slot was empty.

I don't understand your comment that you CANNOT do an inventory of a tape that is already in the library, as that is the opposite of my experience.

SHI-CRO
Level 6

I had Inventory and Import confused.  Import media is greyed out when a tape is in the slot.  I can run and inventory job.