cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAS sever VMWare backup jobs

Rick_Kare
Level 3

I have a central admin server and 2 media servers can each server be configured to run a set of VM's from the same Vcenter Server or do the other 2 have to wait for 1 to complete?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rick_Kare
Level 3

I think this was licensing issue, as I placed the licenses on the CAS server defined a couple of test jobs and tried to run it; The CAS server started fine and my DMZ media server, sat waiting. It finally error'd out that it was not licensed for the operation.

Added a couple of the licenses to the DMZ server and both ran concurrant. FYI. Each media server is handling it own Datastore so contention should not be an issue.

Thanks for the responses.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can run simultaneous jobs on the same vCenter server, but you would probably face contention problems and the overall backup time may be more than if you run the jobs sequentially

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Might be better to have 1 server run multiple jobs, preferably with VMs on different datastores to prevent multiple snaps of 1 datastore.

You could use the other server as in a DR-type scenario where you replicate backups too if needed.

Thanks!

Rick_Kare
Level 3

I think this was licensing issue, as I placed the licenses on the CAS server defined a couple of test jobs and tried to run it; The CAS server started fine and my DMZ media server, sat waiting. It finally error'd out that it was not licensed for the operation.

Added a couple of the licenses to the DMZ server and both ran concurrant. FYI. Each media server is handling it own Datastore so contention should not be an issue.

Thanks for the responses.