cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CASO

Bachchan
Level 6

I have multiple domain say Domain A, DomainB, DomainC( Differnt physical locations for differnt companies). As a managed service provider can I run backup & restore of these differnt companies from my location  over the WAN using CASO in BE15?

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It works well if you have a trust between all the domains.

Failing that you're going to have to do some work in DNS to resolve server name/IP address, and add in the name of the respective BE services accounts from each domain onto the CASO.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As long as the WAN is fast and relible you can run oprimized duplication over the link (which needs a Managed Backup Exec Server with Deduplication at each physcial location with the CAS also running Deduplication.

You will however have some issues with security accounts as this document ( http://www.veritas.com/docs/000075685 ) implies that you need a domain trust between the CAS and the MBE domain, and if your MBEs are in different customer's domains then juts on security principles, I doubt you wil be allowed to setup trusts from your single domian to all of the others. So wil probably need a CAS for each customer (added to their domains to make it simpler) - you could then remoet conteol these CAS servers fom your own systems to make admin relativly easy.

As an aside have you also thought what wil happen if for instance one of your customers decides to discontinue using your serviices and insists you return/delete any of the offsite backup sets... if you share a central dedulication location (or even worse an individual tape) between customers you will not be able to delete the leaving customer's data without having an affect on the remaining customers' data - again a very good reason to keep each customer segragated and not not try to centrally manage across customers from one CAS.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This white paper discusses private cloud options and provides some scenarios (but also indicates a separate CAS for each customer)

https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/backup-exec-2014-technical-white-paper-private-cloud-services

Bachchan
Level 6

Thanks Colin. what I was thinking of doing was at my location I will only have CASO. and at differnt companys(A,B,C) location i will have MBESA,MBESB,MBESC connected indiviually to Storage A,StorageB, Storage C. the only think I will do form CASO is to instruct to run the b/up & restore required from the indiviual storage A,B,C. will this change anything? will it make b/up & restore easy since we have the storage at indiviual companys location?   but again will it be possible to assisgn a single CASO to differnt company domains? and if possible how it can be done?which going by your previous answer will be difficult..............