cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CATDUMP directory structure only??

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Hi All,
We were searching for some ancient data on DDS4 tapes the other day and I see that many of the tapes either have no labels, or only have cryptic lables (I dont know what someone was thinking when they labled a tape "NT BACKUPS" with no date or further information).

Anyway, I want to try and catalog the tapes and keep a listing of what folders are on each tape with the tape, but because of the type of data we have, the output of CATDUMP is sometimes over 100MB just for a single backup set (which can work out to almost 500MB of catalog logs for one tape)

Is it possible just to export the directory tree from a given tape rather then all files?

Is there any other way to do this besides CATDUMP?

Thanks heaps,

Luke
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
No, dont think that will be possible. Catalogs will give you complete list of files and directories.

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
No, dont think that will be possible. Catalogs will give you complete list of files and directories.

Thanks

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Thanks for your response.. however its a real shame that this is the case.

Problem being that these tapes are really old and many of the people responsible for their creation have moved on and its such a random collection of tapes and tape contents its really impossible for me to summarize whats on them..

I mean we have a box of old tapes which have nothing written on them at all.. I thought they were blank initially until I cataloged one and it had tonnes of stuff from a server who's name is not recorded.

Oh well.. just put them back in the box and wait until someone else is looking for something then dance this slow dance again.

Cheers!

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
You may want to write in the idea section, for some enhancement in future.

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You could probably script up something that would take the CATDUMP output and generate what you are looking for

And as mentioned, you may want to add this to the Ideas section of the forum

KingMachine
Level 2

Hello, I am trying to export the file list to a file.  I have used the following:

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT>catdump {14DF0CF0-C580-4D4D-955D-72DCC94BED66}_2.img >output..txt

This only gives me the summery of the catalog.  I do get prompted after catdump runs to do the following:

*********************Set Table ******************************

*****************Extend List ***************************
Would you like to print the file history for this file ? (Y/N)

When I select "Yes", the entire file list I want fills the buffer in the command prompt, and does not output this to a file.

My questions is how do I get this output to a text file?

thanks

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Hi KingMachine,

The command line I am using is as follows:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>catdump "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs\SERVER1\{2C768617-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}_1.fh" XML=N > c:\catalog.txt

For some reason my catalog files are .fh. I also turn off the XML output because its useless to me.

Besides this, the other things I learned is that its best to run this utility on 32bit OS only. Try specifying an output filename with the drive letter such as '>c:\output.txt' also in your example you have output..txt..

The only other thing it could be is that you need to double check the catalog file from within backup exec to make sure you are trying to catdump the right file.

You can check this as such (for BE 12)

Go into backup exec console
Click the restore tab
Make sure neither Beginning or Ending backup date are ticked
Click the View by Media tab
Find the tape you want to find the catalog for and expand it one level
Inside the tape will be the name of the backup set, click once on this file and look in the lower pane of the window.
you will find the catalog file name here at the bottom of the list.

I hope that helps because there is not a lot of docco on the catdump utility.

Let me know!

KingMachine
Level 2
Luke, this worked like a charm!  That is exactly what we needed.  We were going by Symantec's sample and it said to use the .img file instead of the .fh file.

I appreciate the quick response!

KingMachine