cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCTV and backup exec 2014

vovocals
Level 4

I have a customer who backup's CCTV footages to Tape using symantec backup exec 2014

Here are my questions:

is symantec backup exec a good solution for backing up CCTV images? The reason been that CCTV images are motion images, and as such creates little pieces of files constantly.

I have seen a lot of users complain that backup exec keeps doing a full backup each time it runs instead of an incremental even though set. Please look at this link below

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/cctv-backup-issue

Also been that symantec backup exec is a file level backup and not an image level or block level backup. how does this fit in with CCTV images.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-cctv-data-9-tb

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

An INCR/DIFF backup should only backup the changes in the directory you select...the 1 post you mentioned was for BE 2012 which was terrible. BE 2014 in your case might have changed it.

A FULL backup would backup the entire directory no matter the changes.

Run the test and see what it backs up, and report back with an update.

THanks!

vovocals
Level 4

I have been using be 2014 and it works just fine.

A colleage challeneged me at the office that cctv video images are motion images

meaning while the CCTV camera is videoing an application is saving those files to the disk from where backup exec pick's it up from

now if a file keeps getting images how does backup exec do the dif/increment of those file

does it do a full backup everytime of those file where the images are been saved every seconds or it does an incremental of a file thats been used and how does it do that

from the first link above you would notice the user complained that BE keeps doing a full backup and not an incremental backup

I hope i am abit clear in explanation

CraigV

...BE won't do a differential of a file if it changes size. if it was 1GB from the last backup and was written too again and was now 2GB, it wouldn't backup 1GB. It would backup the 2GB file.

The DIFF/INCR would be for files that have changed, but it would be for the full size of that file.

THanks!

vovocals
Level 4

Now as weather "cctv images " are motion images I am not sure what you mean. Normally either a JPEG image or a MPEG4 video file is saved. If its the latter the file will not be saved till after the VMS stops recording that event. So if the event is 2mins long , and the back up happens during that 2mins it will not even see that file because it will be in a "temp" folder separate from what is possible to be backed up. It will be able to back it up after the event is over and it is actually written completely to disk. This is assuming a incremental/ differential(only the files that are new or different)  back up . If I am not mistaken you can modify the times which these back ups occur so it should only do it when it is scheduled to do so. 

so far as if video/image data is picky about CIFS/NTFS or block it really doesn't matter to which, just that CIFS/NTFS is easier to manage, block is more reliable.

CraigV

Yes you can modify the times for the backups, no worries at all. You can schedule these for when you expect the files to finish recording and be committed to disk.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You mentioned CIFS. If the CCTV images are stored on a device which does not allow you to load AWS/RALUS, then all backups will be full backups. Diff/incr backups are not supported on such devices

vovocals
Level 4

the images are stored on a windows 7 device

the comment i added earlier. were statement from someone else

CraigV

...is the RAWS agent loaded on the Windows 7 workstation?

vovocals
Level 4

yes it is and running.

all i wanted to know all along was if symantec backup exec 2014 is good at backing up CCTV images

and possibly how it does that knowing fully well that this are motion images and how it does the incre/diff of those files