cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHoose ESXi or vCenter for VM-backup

Nicolas_Nickisc
Level 4

My VM-Backups are done via the ESXi at the moment. A few weeks ago vCenter was added.

Recently I had to restore one of the VMs. BE 15 complained that the VMs are under surveillance of the vCenter-server and therefore the restore crashed.

I succeded with some trying, but do I have to change the backup origin to the vCenter ?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes, best practice dictates this. Actually for Veeam, ARCserve etc...they all target the VC.

If a VM vMotion's from a particular ESXi host that you've targetted, the backups would fail as the VM's new location would not be know by BE.

Target the VC and backups and restores become easier.

Read below for the best practices:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.HOWTO74443.html

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to backup your VM's through the vCenter server, click on the Add VMware Server button on the button bar and then then the vCenter server to BE.  After that, you can set up your backup job and select the vCenter server as the resource.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

On the newer versions of ESXi if a vCenter is configured, whilst you might be able to stil backup directly from a specific ESXi host and not the vCenter, the restore process is blocked via the host and you have to restore via the vCenter.

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes, best practice dictates this. Actually for Veeam, ARCserve etc...they all target the VC.

If a VM vMotion's from a particular ESXi host that you've targetted, the backups would fail as the VM's new location would not be know by BE.

Target the VC and backups and restores become easier.

Read below for the best practices:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.HOWTO74443.html

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to backup your VM's through the vCenter server, click on the Add VMware Server button on the button bar and then then the vCenter server to BE.  After that, you can set up your backup job and select the vCenter server as the resource.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

On the newer versions of ESXi if a vCenter is configured, whilst you might be able to stil backup directly from a specific ESXi host and not the vCenter, the restore process is blocked via the host and you have to restore via the vCenter.