cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS Does Not Show Full Amount of Data Copied

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
I have noticed that when using CPS and backing up a server the amount of data copied from the server to the CPS backup destination is always less then the total amount of used space on the server being backed up as it displays on the volumes properties under my computer. I thought initially it was simply excluding the swap file, but upon further investigation it appears the swap file is being backed up (at least it appears that way in the selection list). So what is not being backed up, the amount of data would not coincide? Is there a slight bit of compression being used or something?

I just want to be sure that the systems are being properly protected. We are protecting the full system in the CPS selection list for each server.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Do you also have any databases on the server? Note that CPS does not support database backups.

What all are you backing up on the server, what files or applications?

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
No databases. Performing full system backup including system state information.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Try restoring the same backup and see if all things are getting restored.

Thanks.

andy_lyne
Level 2
I have exactly the same concerns. I am backing up a 9G partition on a test server, no databases, but CPS is only showing about 3G. I can't see any files in particular missing but it gives me a very uneasy feeling.

There are no databases, and anyway shouldn't I see some sort of reporting if something isn't getting backed up? Restoring all the data doesn't seem like a particularly great way to prove this.

Andy

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Exactly the same way I think Andy.

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
We have to take into account that every task has an exclusion list (by default including temp files and more), maybe that's it.

Regards

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
I can understand that but the discrepency is size of the backups of a fresh server has me concerned because I would consider it to be less then what temp files on a fresh install would account for including a staticlly set swap fle.