cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS Stop Script and Continuous Protection Agent

Corey_Wilson
Level 6

Hello All,

For the past three years we have been utilising CPS in our environment for our larger file servers, ftp servers, etc. It has been a real time saver from the traditional backup methods on file servers with large data quantities. We are currently backing up in excess of 15tb of data using CPS alone, not including our backup exec backups. So its been very handy.

Now the problem. Since upgrading to R3 we have not been able to use our CPS services stop script. We have a very simple batch file which stops our CPS services Friday afternoon so our tape based backup jobs can start against these paths. It is easier for us to use this method than try and integrate CPS jobs into BackupExec which was always unreliable.

Anyways, the problem is when we attempt to stop the Backup Exec Continuous Protection Service(Backup Exec Continuous Protection Agent), it simply drags on until timeout at the Stopping service dialogue. This is when using a batch file and the 'net stop rxrsa' command or through the windows Services snap-in (not the cps console services). I am always forced to kill the process from within task manager (rxservice.exe). With that being said, if I select stop all services from within the CPS console services menu this service stops as expected.

So I'm not sure if its simply the order or if there is some dependency tied somewhere that is preventing this from working as expected.

Any pointers or workarounds would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Corey_Wilson
Level 6

Looks like I managed to figure this out by following the priority order of services in the CPS Console stop service dialogue.

Here is a very straightforward batch script that may help others if they do the same type of thing, without having to trace the order and punch in all the corresponding service names.

Stop CPS Services:

net stop BESIHost
net stop rxWriterSvc
net stop RxRSA
net stop RxRMS
net stop RXNoService
net stop ENL
net stop RxASA

Start CPS Services:

net start BESIHost
net start rxWriterSvc
net start RxRSA
net start RxRMS
net start RxASA
net start ENL

This is on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 with BE / CPS 2010 R3.

Hope this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Corey_Wilson
Level 6

Looks like I managed to figure this out by following the priority order of services in the CPS Console stop service dialogue.

Here is a very straightforward batch script that may help others if they do the same type of thing, without having to trace the order and punch in all the corresponding service names.

Stop CPS Services:

net stop BESIHost
net stop rxWriterSvc
net stop RxRSA
net stop RxRMS
net stop RXNoService
net stop ENL
net stop RxASA

Start CPS Services:

net start BESIHost
net start rxWriterSvc
net start RxRSA
net start RxRMS
net start RxASA
net start ENL

This is on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 with BE / CPS 2010 R3.

Hope this helps someone else.