cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can BE support LTO3 with DataDomain VTL

SONGYOD_KH
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I use Backup Exec 2010 R3 with DataDomain VTL.

As DataDomain Compatible list,it support LTO1,2 and 3.

But,BE HCL support only LTO1.

Can I extend BE to support DataDomain LTO3 VTL.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I doubt you can extend the support to LTO3 VTL with BE2010 R3.

HCL consists all the devices which are tested by Symantec, so may be till now LTO2 and LTO3 are

not tested and hence not on the list. Even Symantec will deny support in case you run into any issue 

while using unsupported configuration.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I doubt you can extend the support to LTO3 VTL with BE2010 R3.

HCL consists all the devices which are tested by Symantec, so may be till now LTO2 and LTO3 are

not tested and hence not on the list. Even Symantec will deny support in case you run into any issue 

while using unsupported configuration.

teiva-boy
Level 6

It doesnt really matter what tape format it supports..  There is no speed difference.  DD will write as fast or as slow as it needs to (This is the benefit of disk over tape!)

At the end of the day, if you own the VTL license, you can carve up as many tape drives as needed to get the most possible performance out of both BackupExec and the DD box.

Symantec's own RMAL uses AIT-1, and Symantec's dedupe engine too I believe uses the AIT format in the media catalogs.  So tape capacity or fotmat is irelevant.

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee

Hello:

The Backup Exec 2010 HCL (Hardware Compatability List) Lists out all the physical hardware Backup Exec is compatable with.  I the case of  a Virtual Tape Loader we can emulate any of the drives, so it does not matter if you choose LTO1, LTO2, or LTO3, it will work in any of these configurations.  

As Mentioned by Teiva-boy you can configure your DD Box as needed to get the best possible performance.

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee

I went ahead and took some time to talk to the head of our compatibility lab, and we fully support many of the Data Domain Appliance Series Devices (DD140, 510, 530, 560, 565, 580, 610, 630, 660, 670, 690, 860, 880 & 890) in addtion to the DD400 Serives of Devices (DD410, 430 & 460).  With all of these devices the tape unit present (emulated) was an Ultrium 1 dirve.  This does not mean that other drive types being emulated will not work, just that they were not tested.  As long as Data Domain is properly emulating the LTO drive there is nothing in our driver to stop them from working, and they may just operate perfectly. 

teiva-boy
Level 6

Darker, would you mind closing this out and marking a response as a solution?